Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to run away or kill myself. My parents are why

Ever since I’ve gotten into a new school, (2 years ago) my parents have made me want to kill myself. They’re always mad at me. When they’re mad, they only yell and scream at me because of my failures and negative aspects. Today was the day that I wanted to run away the most. They yelled at me and said that a my brother and only him is TRYING to do his best... but even when I try, they’re still not satisfied. They still treat me like a object to take their anger on. They treat me like I’m the failure in the world. They have also hit me a lot, one day my mother cut me, and I came to school crying. I don’t even feel comfortable about talking to them on my problems because they would never listen. They would judge me, on and on constantly. They will blame me being sad because of them.

Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS through online forum. Reaching out for help is a really brave thing to do. It sounds like you’re in a tough situation at home with the way your parents are treating you. It’s understandable that you are upset and sometimes feel like running away. You deserve to feel loved and supported by the people you are surrounded by.
    The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at 1 (800) 273-8255 for times when you are overwhelmed with negative thoughts, like the ones you mentioned about your parents making you want to kill yourself. You are not alone and help is out there. You also mentioned that you have feelings of wanting to run away. It’s important to make a safety plan if you do decide to run away – like how you will have your basic needs like food and shelter met. At NRS, we’d be happy to talk through a safety plan with you, or just talk through some ways to cope with what you are experiencing at home. You can reach us at 1 (800) 786-2929 or chat with us online at 1800runaway.org.
    The National Child Abuse Hotline, 1 (800) 422 4453, is a good resource to consider as well. It is never okay for someone to hit or cut you. They will support you and can talk to you about your options. You can also try talking to a trusted adult like a teacher, school counselor, etc. about the way your parents are treating you.
    You are not a failure. Your current situation is temporary, and your life has infinite value. Stay strong!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hello my name is Jayden I am 11 and my parents always say good things about my brothers but not me.They yell at me for having bad grades but when I have good grades they just say barely anything my brothers do the same things I do but when I do it they get mad and yell at me and when they yell at me it’s for like a long time for my brothers it’s like seconds. I always want to yell or punch something but if I yell I’ll get smacked or yanked by my shirt or shoved.I just stay in my room all day then because I don’t want to see them. One question is it abuse when my parents yank me by my shoulder or pinch me by my ear and pull it

Comment

• ccsmod6
        ccsmod6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that you feel like your parents are treating you unfairly. It sounds really stressful for them to criticize you so much when you make mistakes and then not acknowledge when you do something good. Getting yelled at for so long sounds really intense and hurtful. It makes sense that you are so frustrated with everything that is going on.

To answer your question, we are not the ones who would be able to decide if that type of treatment is considered abuse. If you believe that your parents are hurting you in an inappropriate way, it might be a good idea to think about filing an abuse report. That is something that we could talk you through if you are interested. You can also always reach out to the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453. They are experts in the abuse reporting process and might be able to answer questions about abuse more accurately than we could.

Your situation sounds complicated and difficult. It might be worth it to talk a little bit more about what’s going on. If you wanted to chat with us more and figure out what other options there might be for you, please don’t hesitate to chat us at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-786-2929. We are confidential and available 24/7!

Thank you and take care,
        NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X