Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to leave

My father was extremely abusive until my mom finally kicked him out. I was also sexually abused when I was six years old. I want to leave this city bc everywhere I go, I'm reminded of something bad that happened there and it is extremely depressing and gives me anxiety. Here's the problem: I have clinical depression and anxiety and am on medicine, but I need my mom's insurance to get this medicine. However, if I runaway I'll have a lot of trouble getting my meds. Also, I have a low paying job and bills to pay, so I'm left with nothing to save up. Basically it's impossible for me to leave, but impossible for me to stay. If I stay here I might kill myself. I've tried it before and I'm so scared to get to that place again.

re: Wanting to leave

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re so glad you decided to reach out to us today. Your strong spirit and strength to make it comes through in your message and it sounds like you have had to cope with some really hard stuff in your life and are currently facing some tough choices at the moment.

It sounds like you are ready to leave home and are ready to start life out on your own. While we are not here to tell you what to do, we are here to explore some options with you. You’ve shared some pretty deep parts of your life. Have you ever considered talking to anyone about the sexual abuse you have experienced? Sometimes just being able to talk to someone about the things you have experienced is a way to help you heal from the past. There is a hotline that is available 24/7 named RAINN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network) that is to support victims and to help in the best way that they can. Their number is 1-800-656-4673 and they also have a 24/7 chat line.

It sounds like you have had to cope with some really hard stuff in your life and we hear your current struggling with thoughts of suicide, so know that the suicide hotline is there for you to talk to 24/7 at 800-273-TALK (8255).

You mentioned leaving home and living on your own, perhaps there are some things you might want to consider before you decide to leave. We have listen some questions below that you may want to think about before you decide to leave:

What else can I do to improve my home situation before I leave?
    What would make me stay at home?
    How will I survive?
    Is running away safe?
    Who can I count on to help me?
    Have I given this enough thought?
    What are my other options?
    If I end up in trouble, who will I call?
    When I return home, what will happen?

Our hotline is confidential and if you are comfortable you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are here to lend an ear and support you with some of the decisions you are facing. We hope to get your call or chat soon.

Stay strong,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

i want to get out

im 16 im trying to leave home because im tired of the depression, mental abuse, verbal abuse it used to be physical but thats stopped i can't live in this house anymore i tried considering emancipation but my parents wont let me but i have a friend who is willing to let me stay with her till i get on my feet and i know i am capable of working and doing my school at the same time but i know thats not enough to prove emancipation is the best option for me but i know it is because due to my dads verbal abuse and mental abuse ive had thoughts of doing self harm and i have a few times a long time ago this has gone on my whole life me and my mom have a good relationship but and my little sister does too but its my dad and my mom is undermental abuse she's brainwashed by my dad and all i want is to get away and i told them if i dont get out anytime soon im going to run away and kill myself and im serious im really really close this is my last option so i hope you guys will do anything to help me GET. OUT. please :'(

Comment

Re: Wanting to leave

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your story on our online forum. It sounds like you are in a lot of pain. We’re sorry to hear things between you and your parents are so strained. No one deserves any type of abuse, whether it be physical, emotional, or otherwise.

Reporting emotional abuse could be something to consider. Emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what Child Protective Services relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling, mediation, or contacts instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process.

It’s must be very overwhelming to be going through these issues at home and be battling depression, self-injury, and thoughts about suicide. We want you to know that there is help out there. You don’t need to go through this alone. Is there a relative, friend, counselor, or teacher you trust to talk about these feeling. You can always call us if you need someone to talk to about this, but the National Suicide Hotline can also be of help. They have a chat service and hotline: http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline...elinechat.aspx or 1-800-273-8255.

You mentioned that you are strongly considering emancipation. The requirements for emancipation change from state to state, but if you call into our hotline or chat with us online, we can look up a legal resource in your area that you can contact for information on how to get that process started. Unfortunately, emancipation is a lengthy process that could last several months.

Contacting us was a great first step. We are here to listen to you and support you. We hope you contact us directly so that we can discuss your situation in more detail.

Stay strong,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X