about to lose it..read please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about to lose it..read please

ok so me and my fieance came up to ohio to visit my brother and once we got here the very next day my brother made him leave on a grey hound bus. for no reason at all. just be cause he doesnt like him and him(brother) and my dad say and threaten that bad things will happen to my fience if i go to him. my brother took my keys to my car and im pretty much here against my will. and im trying to figure out a way to get to him safely. because i am going to get to him what my family is doing to me is uncalled for and to my fieance he didnt do a thing to deserve this....

how would i get to him safely (by the way im 18 ill be 19 in 5 months)

Re: about to lose it..read please

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. Sounds like you're in a very desperate situation. Good thing you were able to contact us about the stuff that's happening to you.

It's not okay that they are holding you against your will. As far as we know, the legal age of adulthood in OH is 18 and at that point, you can make any living arrangements (like moving out) on your own without the supervision and permission of your parents. Have you attempted to call the police and informed them that you are being held against your will? It is not okay that they are doing this.

How do you think we can help? Are you able to call the police? Is that something you are willing and able to do?

If you can, you can call our hotline 24hrs a day at 1800.RUNAWAY and we can talk a little more about your situation.

Best of luck and hopefully we will hear from you,

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

my name is [edited] ill call as soon as i can.. um... my brother said that he will let me leave but once i leave 'im turning my back on him and my dad" <- thats what he said... i have a feeling that i wont be able to leave, or if i do my dad will call and report my car stolen and its in his name so i dont know what to do... im afraid to call the police but if i have to i will i guess i dont want my family to get in trouble but what they are doing isnt right....
      also my dad said if i leave he will track me down and force me into a hospitle because im making rash decisions on wanting to leave and he also said that he will cause bodily harm to my fieance. so im really at a loss here. my brother and sister in law will prolly take away my phone and computer by the end of the night but if there is any chance please reply and illl try to call asap i need help please.. =(

Comment

Thanks for writing back. Just so you know we edited out some of the personal information, for your own protection. It sounds like you’re in an incredibly difficult situation. Like we wrote before at 18, you are legally allowed to leave your house and no one can make you stay against your will. It sounds like you already know this, but are worried what will happen if you do leave. As far as the threats your dad made to you, just so you know he probably wouldn’t be able to have you forced into a hospital. Generally, the only way to make someone stay in a hospital against their will is to prove that the person wants to harm themselves or someone else. To the best of our knowledge, making rash decisions probably wouldn’t qualify to force you into the hospital.

It is your right to call the police if your family is keeping you against your will and threatening bodily harm on you (or those around you). It’s understandable why you’d be nervous to do this. Just remember, that the police are there to protect you and help you in situations like this.

We hope you’re able to find a way to safely leave your house. If there’s anything specific that you think we can help with via the bulletins, please let us know. You’re welcome to call us if you want to talk more about the situation and possible options. Just so you know, if you do leave, our number is toll-free from any payphone. We may be able to help you find a safe place to go to if you leave and don’t have anywhere to spend the night. Best of Luck.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

hi there its me again um.... im planning on leaving on monday and ill be driving down to him(fiance) and my dad said that once i leave he will report my car stolen and stuff once he finds out...but by time he finds out i would of done left at 10:30am and he would of found out by 5:30pm so i should be there or almost there right? i just wanna get a few things off my chest and maybe you can give me an opinion..please i really really need one.
          my mom she divorced my dad when i was 10 she met this guy and she like totally forgot about me. and shes been more proud of his daughter then me and spent more time with his daughter then me ( i know im jealouse and hurt at the same time) she also never sticks up for me with anything when it comes to him its like she cares more about her then me and you can kinda tell by the way she brags and stuff. well another thing that hurt me was she and her guy spent 2000 on her for christmas (by the way shes 20 ) and got her furniture for her apartment and all my mom got me was 50 bucks and she had to sneak it to me...its not about the money its just the thought hurts me you know and she kicked me out saying "you gotta go girlfriend" bc i would spend alot of time with my dad bc i always felt unloved by her and not accepted by him.
          now my dad on the other hand hes never there for me he was in the begining but then he just gave alot of money and told me to go away...i dont want the money i want love and acceptance by my parents and heres the reall kicker he let his girlfrind abuse me and hit me repeatedly and did nothing about it. so i dont get why they want to try and keep me somewhere if they dont care about me and my feelings you know. and my brother is the same way hes also abusive and stuff and i just dont know what to do i love my fiance so much and it kills us to be apart from eachother so why do i feel so bad on leaving? its what i want i want to be happy with the one i love...and they never really cared about me so why are they so set on trying to keep me away from him? hes not mean to me he treats me good and stuff the only problem my brother and dad have with him is that they no we are intament... so i dont know help please?

Comment

Thanks for getting back to us and sharing more information. We are glad that your brother and sister did not take your computer away. You wrote that they may also take away your phone. Are you still in a possession of it? Have you been able to use the phone to call anyone for help?

From everything you told us, it sounds like this is not the first time you have had problems with your family. We are sorry to hear that things were so difficult for you while you were growing up. Every one deserves to be treated well by their parents, and we are sorry that your family was not able to give you a comforting, supportive, or safe home. Have you ever thought about going to counseling to work through some of this? If that is something you are interested in, we can certainly help felt you a community counseling center near you.

We are concerned for your safety and would really like to be able to help you to the best of our ability. You said that you want help, but what exact sort of help are you looking for? We can talk with you and help you come up with a safe plan to leave home, but it is up to you to follow through with that plan. We can also give you referrals to community resources (such as counseling) and can even help you contact those agencies. For example, in Ohio, there are Traveler’s Aids located in Cincinnati [(513) 762-5660], Delaware [(800) 684-2324], and Mount Gilead [(419) 947-5437]. If you live in any of these areas, these agencies might be able to help you get to your fiancé on Greyhound so that you do not have to rely on your father’s car. What other sort of help are you looking for?

We wish you the best of luck,
            -NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X