No announcement yet.

17, Being abused and want to move out.

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I’m 17 and I’m being I was being abused I ran away one yr ago what can I do


    • ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you were unsafe and home and ran away awhile ago. Abuse is never okay and you deserve to be treated with respect. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you during this time.

      From what you have said, it's hard to know what your options are and what your current situation is. If you need to get to a safe place, please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you need help locating the nearest runaway and homeless youth shelter. You might also text the National Safe Place to find the nearest safe place. "Text the word “safe” and your current location (address, city, state) to 4HELP (44357). Within seconds, you will receive a message with the closest Safe Place site and phone number for the local youth agency. For immediate help, reply with “2chat” to text interactively with a trained counselor." If you are in immediate danger please call 911.

      Also if you call or chat us we can confidentially talk through your options with you, so you are more informed and you can make the best decision for you. If you ran away from a safe place, and are now in an unsafe place we might be able to help you get back home. If you are currently at home and it is unsafe we can help you file an abuse report for you or make a safety plan.

      Please know that you are not alone, and we look forward to hearing from you. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929);

      Be safe,

      Last edited by ccsmod7; 01-27-2019, 05:01 PM.

  • #17
    Hi I’ve never used this site before but I am trying to figure out how I am able to leave my house without having the cops called. My mom gets physical and very violent when she’s mad. She throws things and hits me often, and calls names and says very hurtful things. I don’t want to get into detail but I have a place to stay I want to move out. I am 17 and will be 18 in 6 months. She has told me to pack my bags and to leave because she doesn’t want me here. My fear is that once I do that she will change her mind after I’ve already moved out or when I’m trying to move out and call the cops. After she has told me to leave several times and given me permission. What should I do if she calls the cops and they try to bring me back home?


    • #18
      Reply: Hi I’ve never used this site before..


      You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).
      you don't deserve to be abused in any way. It is not your fault that this has been happening.

      If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

      Should your mother put you out of the home you can make a report to the police and provide them with information about your well -being. In some situations with a youth being so close to turning 18 the police may decide not to force you to return home if a wellness check satisfies the officer that you are indeed safe. Take note that the police are also mandated reports and could also decide to contact child protective services. If you would like to talk more about your situation we are here to listen and here to help. You may contact NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or (Live chat).

      Please be safe.

      We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

      National Runaway Safeline (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

      Tell us what you think about your experience!


      • #19
        I am 12 i hate my life my family awalys hits me and and tells me off they are all against me sometimes i just go to ny corner cause i dont have a bed and i just cry and my parents buys my brother thats 17 a iphone and my sister and even my little sister have good stuff and they wear so much good clothes and i have to wear the same stuff everyday and i have a ********ty phone i found one day it a ********en free phone and i just wanna die or move out and get a job someone please come help me im just gonna end up killing myslef


        • ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation at home. We are sorry you are experiencing abuse, no one ever deserves to go through that. You do have the right to report the abuse to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. You can either do it yourself or call into us directly and we can support you through it. It is hard to say the result of reporting, but if you call in you can ask what the process might look like.

          Also another way you can seek help is reaching out to a friend, teacher, or counselor at school that can help you look for resources. Your mental health is important. You can also look at SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) at (call them directly at 1-877-726-4727) or NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness 1-800-950-NAMI to help you find the support that you need. If you do ever feel in direct danger, to yourself, or some else makes you feel that way, please call out to 911 or reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255).

          It can be difficult to know how to talk to your parents and express your feelings about how you are feeling. We would encourage you to reach out to a trusted adult, teacher, relative, and friend that you can talk to and potentially help you mediate a conversation with your parents about your current situation. At NRS, we do offer a service call conference calling, where you can call into our hotline and then we would reach out to your guardian and help advocate for you, help you express the needs you have to your parents.
          We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.

          We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey.

      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove