No announcement yet.

Emancipation and Verbal Abuse

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Emancipation and Verbal Abuse

    Hello, My name is Rowan. I am in Avery difficult situation at home with my mom being extremely verbally abusive, and I am locked in and not allowed to leave. I pay her over $500 dollars a month just to live there, and she has taken everything that I have bought myself and pay for myself away (phone, car ect.). I am told that if I leave the premises on any means then I will have the police called on and be labeled as a runaway. I recently ran away and I called the police to explain to them that I don’t feel safe going back home, but they made a mockery of me and I had to go back to my mother, which since then she has only become worse. I am emailing you on behalf of emancipation, I am 17 years old, and I have a full time job, and is graduating this May. I understand that there is no formal law in Colorado in regards to emancipation, but I am still able to petition for it in court. I have living arrangements settled if I were to get emancipated. I am thinking about having again but If I go back things will only get worse. I am hoping that I can receive help, I have already looked into finding help from Human Resources, but was unsuccessful. Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you soon.


  • #2
    Thank you for your message, Rowan. It sounds like you’re in a really stressful situation. You don’t ever deserve to be abused in any way and it’s so frustrating that your local police mocked you for looking for help. That’s not OK. Depending on the situation, it could also be an option to reach out to child protective services; for more information on how that would work and what might happen, you can call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. It sounds like you’ve done your research and have a general understanding of how emancipation works, which shows a lot of maturity and forethought on your part. We are not legal experts here, but generally speaking you would want to reach out to a lawyer if you’re seeking emancipation. Emancipation can be a long and costly process, so there is a possibility that you may turn 18 before you are emancipated. A lawyer would be most qualified to answer any questions about the process. If you need assistance calling out to legal resources, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929. We are here 24/7 to listen and help in any way we can. Stay strong!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp