No announcement yet.

I am depressed because of how my parents treat me

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am depressed because of how my parents treat me

I have been depressed my whole life. I am 13. I never knew how I became depressed or if I even did, my parents have never understiod me and I have missed many days of school multiple times because of social issues, and I go to my parents about the issues and they yell at me and tell me to A) suck it up or B) don’t bring the issues to them. They always tell me they want the best for me, and sometimes I believe them. But every time I have a breakdown they don’t support me, they are my enemy. I guess it’s my fault that I keep going to them but I hide all my feelings from everyone all the time theres points when I breakdown and miss weeks on end of school fighting my own parents. I need help, I can’t continue like this or I may hurt myself. After these fights I end up feeling more broken and useless but learn how to hide my feelings more. I don’t want to run away from the comfort of home I just want to live somewhere where they aren’t. I need to get away from them. My Mother has stress issues and on a daily basis ends up leaving me stressed and anxious which dosen’t help me. My Father I am constatly afraid of, I’m tense when he walks in the door and when ever I am around him, he gets very very mad when I ignore him but I am scared to interact with him. Because he had phsically and verbally abused me before. My Sister and I are sortof close but I keep drifting away from my family knowing that they don’t love me and I don’t love them. I know I need psychological help and so do they but I can’t help but want to get away from my parents knowing that my childhood would haunt me even if they changed, even if it got better. Please help, I can’t drive and have no where to look for help but here.

Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Everyone deserves to be happy and supported.

You mentioned that you feel like you’re walking on eggshells around your dad and that he has physically abused you in the past, this raises concern for your safety and well-being. Absolutely no one deserves to be abused. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

You stated that you felt like you wanted to find some help from someone in the mental health field. An agency that might be a good resource would be the National Alliance on Mental Illness. You can reach them by calling 800-950-NAMI or by texting NAMI to 741741. You also stated that you have thought about hurting yourself. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X