No announcement yet.

16, living with grandparents, but they aren't my legal guardians.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16, living with grandparents, but they aren't my legal guardians.

    So, my parents are divorced and my mother had a stroke. My father can no longer care for me because he touched me as a child. I've lived with my grandparents for almost 5 years, and everyday, I am yelled at for doing something I haven't done. We have a certain rule where I cannot take my phone or any other electronics, even if they are school issued, into my room. I broke that rule once, for the entire 5 years, and I'm breaking it again right now to write this. I'm overweight, and so is everyone else in the family. But I do the most work, excercise, I wake up at 4 every morning and go for a two mile run, I'll hit the gym, then I do sports after school, but I'm still reaching weights of around 240-260lb. My grandmother, especially, will make fun of me, or make rude comments. They aren't my legal guardians, and Iv've tried to do research, but if they aren't my guardians, can I legally leave the house? The only authority they have over me is being my mother's parents. It may not seem like much, but the stress builds and it's been going on for 5 years and I really can't deal with it. So what are the legal precaussions of me leaving the house?

  • #2
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We understand that you are going through a difficult and stressful time at the moment. From what we gather about your situation it may seem as though you are living with your grandparents who are not your guardians you do not necessarily need to answer to them. Your mom would be your guardian unless she cannot take care of you. From there it would seem like your grandparents are your legal guardians in that manner. You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your grandparent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your grandparents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

    Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp