Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will i be alright

Will i be alright to run away?
    I'm running away from home, don't try to change it. I'm 12 years old, know TaeKwonDo, but I haven't practiced for 6 months, I have asthma but i can get my inhaler, I have a pocket knife. Will it be safe for me to run? I'm running to downtown Denver Co. What do i bring? how do i get there? I only have between $40 and $60. I don't know where to stay or how ill get food or stuff like that.

Re: Will i be alright

Hello,

Thank you for taking time out of your moments of planning to reach out to the National Runaway Switchboard before you decides to leave home. We are glad to see that you are willing to speak us for some guidance. We strive to educate young people about ways to remain safe and how to avoid certain dangers. We are not in the position to tell you what to do but we hope that you can allow us the opportunity to offer some suggestions to you as you try to make the best out of your situation. You do not have to worry about us changing your mind about running because we are nonjudgmental. We are also very confidential and anonymous and hope to hear from you in person. You are welcome to call us 24 hours a day at 1800RUNAWAY to talk about your feelings/emotions.

By the looks of things, you look to be very young but it is not for us to judge whether your plan is going to work. Have you thought about involving another adult in your plans? Is there someone you can trust to offer you support? We are happy that you have acquired certain skills to protect yourself. Do you see yourself having to resort to using your TaeKwonDo skills to fend off strangers? Does that mean you are going to venture out into dangerous parts of town? Downtown Denver, we are sure must have its dangers. What are your expectations for what life is going to be like when you go to Denver, CO? We cannot say for sure whether it is going to be safe for you to run away to Denver, CO. Are you prepared to deal with the consequences of getting caught with your pocket knife? How long have you had asthma? What do you need to do to get an inhaler? Do you live with parents? You did not explore a whole lot about what is happening at home. What exactly happened to create this sense of urgency to leave home? Are there alternatives to running away? When you are on the run, we hope you can continue to find ways to stay safe and get the resources you need. What would you do if you ran out of your inhaler? Do you have ways to get a new prescription? We imagine that you might need the consent of your parents to get this sort of medical attention. However, you can check into a hospital if you are not safe or in need of an inhaler. The flip side is that the hospital is going to need to contact your parents.

It sounds like you have given your plan some good thoughts. In terms of what you need to bring, we imagine you might need to warm clothing, food, money, water, and a sleeping bag. Do you have any desire to stay with anyone in particular? If you were to call us at our 1800RUNAWAY number, we can direct you to a shelter. They can put you up for a couple of days maximum if you need to get off the streets. However, they cannot harbor you forever. They are going to have to contact your parents if you choose to stay with them for long. The point we are trying to get at is that it always comes back to parent’s notification and/or consent. Shelters can provide food or food kitchens in the area can do the same. We want you to know that you have us to call anytime in the event you need to contact these places for further assistance. Another issue is concern yourself with is your age. Some agencies may think you are too young to assist you. If you choose to stay with friends or relatives, you stand a chance of getting them in trouble for harboring you.

Generally, it is not a crime in most states to run away. It is best to call your local police or look up statutes/laws in your area to find out more about these issues. When you run away, you get a status offense if your parents decide to call the police and list you as a runaway. Your name goes into a major computer database called the NCIC (National Criminal Information Center), where you are tracked if found by the police. It is the police responsibility to return you home, get in touch with your parents to come get you or figure out another way to get you home. We imagine that going from where you are to Denver might be a long walk. Are you prepared to face the elements of cold, rain, or even wild life around the area? When are you planning to leave home? Do you have a friend to call to give you a ride? You stated you have between 40-60 bucks. How long do you think that money is going to last? Have to spoken to anyone about coming along? We are not saying that you need to have someone with you. We gathered since you ask whether you can have someone come with you that you are not sure you want to go on this trip alone. Lastly, we do not want you to go through this alone. We are here for you and hope you consider some of the questions above. Good luck and hope to hear from you soon.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X