No announcement yet.

I'm 17 and I don't know what to do!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 17 and I don't know what to do!

    Please help I don't know where to go for help.

    I'm 17 years old I'll turn 18 on November I have a big issue in my house it's being going on for a long time now, years, I am at college at the moment and I get £3 everyday from my college for food witch is very good and helpful and I get my weekly bus fair as well but I was trying to save that money so I have some to help me move out when I turn 18 because my dad didn't let me to get a job with the excuse "you don't need it" but he is doing it so I can't get money and i find it very difficult to move out! He said to me that he is not gonna give me money for my bus fair and to top up my phone but that's okay I can cover it for a few months. He wants me out he told me as soon as I turn 18 to go and "never come back" he threatens me in many ways and one of them is that he'll heat me. I don't know what to do I just want to move away and never see that men again in my life I want to fix my life I want to find a job and find my own place that I can effort and be able to go to college.

    What can I do now that I am not 18 yet?

  • #2
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We noticed that you mentioned money in Euros. Does this mean that you are not located in the US? The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.
    If you are located within the US, at the age of 18 you would be considered an adult so you can leave your dads house without his permission. It is very responsible f you to take the time to figure out what kind of resources you will need and how to make this transition as smooth as possible. You questioned what you can do in the meantime before you turn 18. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can. Just give us a call anytime 1-800-786-2929
    Best wishes,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp