No announcement yet.

I want to run and live with my aunt.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to run and live with my aunt.

My aunt is a good person and basically raised me when I was little. Now I'm 14 and I want to leave my house. I know it doesent sound very smart but everything about my house is a mess. I get into trouble for dumb reasons were as my aunts I do not. I read that you can get emancipated at 14. and I've been thinking about this since I was 10. I would just like a little more insight as to weather I should even consider this as a possibility

Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you have been wanting to move back with your aunt for a while now, and things at home have been messy. It is smart of you to reach out and explore your options.

Emancipation is the court process of proving that you are a self-sufficient adult early, and laws vary by state. Generally the courts look to see if you can support yourself both financially and whether or not being emancipated is in your best interest. All states that do have emancipation require that a youth is 16-17 except for California. Please call or chat us if you are interested in learning more about your state's law.

The easiest way you can leave home at 14 is with permission. If you haven't already, you might try to talk to your aunt and see if you would let you stay with her. If she agrees, maybe she can help you talk to your parents about staying with her. Sometimes it helps to have a trusted adult advocate for your needs to your parents.

Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us if you would like to talk more about your situation. We are here to listen, here to help.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X