No announcement yet.

21 Year old needing to get away

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 21 Year old needing to get away


    . I am currently living with my mother, who has been graciously letting me live at home as long as I go to college.

    But, I am currently on my Second academic probation, which is a year for a second offence at the college I am currently attending. I told my mother that I took a "break" during the first time, witch was only one semester, but I am physically afraid to tell her that I can't go to school for a year.
    . I have already written a letter to her and my family saying that I have left on my own accord and to not look for me, but I have no where to go and no job and no car (the ones that I drive belong to my parents).
    My mother is a "panic monkey" and has always told me that nothing belongs to me and she has told me in the past that if I wasn't going to school, I needed to find a place to live, but my father has been telling me since I turned 18 that I didn't need to tell my mother everything and didn't need to ask to do anything since I'm an adult.
    I don't know what to do, and I only have a few days to think of something. I've already started to gather up my ss card, drivers license, and my birth certificate along with a few bank statements that has my name on them and made a list of things I need.

  • #2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time and it takes bravery to reach out to us. College can be difficult you could consider sending a letter of appeal to your college to get off of academic probation. You could find out about academic appeals by contacting your schools register of financial aid office. Although your mom may have said in the past that you have to be going to school in order to live with her, maybe if you talk to her about what is going on and come up with a plan she may allow you to continue living with her.
    To help with your academics, you could consider having a tutor help you. Tutors can help higher grades, prep for tests, and keep you motivated and on track. Often times colleges provide free tutors for students or have tutors at a discounted price.
    You mentioned having nowhere to go. You could consider asking your father if you could live with him. If your parents are living together you can consider talking to your dad about still allowing you to stay there while you get your school stuff figured out. If you need help looking for somewhere to go you can call us and provide your city and state and we can help you look for shelters in your area or transitional living programs.
    We hope this information has been helpful for you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to talk more about your situation please feel free to give us a call we are here 24/7.
    Best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif