How do I deal with a difficult father?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I deal with a difficult father?

I'm 15 and i'm currently living alone with my dad for about a month until my mom gets home from a trip. He has never physically hurt me but I get really scared when he gets angry and yells. I do my best not to provoke him but it seems whatever I do makes him angry. The other day my dog ate some of his lunch when I wasn't watching and I was so scared that he was going to hurt her that I locked myself in my room with my dog. He demanded I let him in to see her and I politely but firmly refused. He told me I was "On his ******** list" and that I'd "crossed a line that I didn't want to cross". I had an anxiety attack because of the fear. I don't want to live with him alone for a month because i'm uneasy whenever i'm around him because of his sensitivity and outbursts. I'm afraid hes going to hurt my dog or maybe even me. How can I live with this person on my own until my mom gets back?

Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    We are sorry to hear of how your father is treating you. It is understandable that you would not want to have to spend the rest of your time living with someone that makes you feel unsafe. Since this has become such a big issue for you it might be worth talking to your mother about. We know that she is away on a trip right now but she still might be able to talk to your dad about his behavior. If not then it could be useful to have a safety plan for if things do get out of hand again. If you feel comfortable you can give us a call and we can help guide you through it. 1-800-786-2929
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X