No announcement yet.

running away while cps is aware

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • running away while cps is aware

    i am gay and my parents are very religious. they don’t know yet but i asked my mother once what she would do if one of her own children came out to her, and she said that some people kick them out, which has frightened me and got me thinking about running away before she gets the chance to kick me out. many of my friends have offered a safe place for me, so i know i have somewhere to go if i leave, but can i leave and inform cps of my situation and that i am staying with a friend because i was not going to be accepted by my family and i was bound to be kicked out anyways? is it possible for me to run away to a friends house and cps let me be without trying to send me back home?

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out for help.

    We're glad you reached out to us. It's understandable that you feel insecure about your situation at home. Coming out can be hard and it takes a lot of courage. You are not alone and there are other people who have gone through the same. You can find support by calling the LGBT National Hotline at 1-888-843-4564 and they can share their story and provide you support. Coming out can be hard and be a lifelong process however explaining this to your parents in front of counselor or going through family counseling can make it easier. You can contact your school counselor or contact SAMHSA at 1-877-726-4727 and they can help provide you counseling resources.

    Leaving home can be hard in many situations. It can be helpful to think about where you might stay and how you might pay for food, rent or other living expenses. We are not legal experts however if you are to leave home without your parents permission the police can bring you back home and whoever you stay with could be charged with harboring a runaway.

    If you are considering filing an abuse report you can call Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 and they can help you provide more info on filing an abuse report

    If you would like, you could also call us at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat and we can listen to you, explore your options and provide any resources.We also offer a conference call service where you could call us and we could do a 3 way call with your parents and help come to a common ground.
    We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif