I've made my plans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've made my plans

I talked to my mother about how I was feeling. There's nothing wrong with my family situation or anything like that. I'm not being abused (anymore). I'm not on any type of drug or alcohol and I'm not smoking. But I am unhappy. I can tell it's a female adolescent thing, this being unhappy for no reason, being depressed without any type of provocation. When I get within a mile radius of my house I become queasy, sick and restless and I feel like there is no hope when I am on that mountain. There is one person I have been able to relate to for the past three years and I am really starting to rely on him, not only as my boyfriend, but as my friend as well. He only lives 30 miles away from me, which is closer to my high school than my actual house. I feel like I would be able to concentrate on my school work without as much stimulation (my mom has five other kids that she often asks me to take care of). I am often at his house with him, and my mom complains that I do not spend much time at home. He has asked me to come live with him, since I appear to be so unhappy when I have to go home. However, I am only 17 and I'm counting down the days (171, as of November 20, 200 until I turn 18 on May 9th. There are no 'emancipation' laws in Colorado which means that until May 9th, my mother has a legal obligation to me and I think that's one of the only reasons why she's hanging on, except for the obvious things like her love for me and her worry that I won't be safe, but I can assure you as a responsible young adult with strong morals, I will be taken care of.

I'm a patient person, so I can wait, but it's almost agonizing having to go home every night. Please tell me what I can do in the meantime, or if there's any way to speed up the process?

Re: I've made my plans

Thank you for sharing your situation with us at the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you are having a really tough time lately, both with feeling unhappy and wishing you were 18 already. It sounds like you have a pretty clear grasp of your situation and that you are looking into all your options.

It sounds like you have a strong relationship with your boyfriend and you mentioned that he has offered to let you stay with him. Do you think your mom would agree to this? You mentioned that she has a legal obligation to you, so if you did go to live with him how do you think she would react? If you left without her permission, do you think she would file a runaway or missing person’s report? It is generally not illegal to runaway, but many states recognize harboring a runaway a crime. Do you think your mom would pursue this and if so would you and your boyfriend be willing to take that risk?

You stated yourself that you are a patient person, but that you also wish to do something in the meantime. You stated that you do not believe that Colorado has an emancipation process. Have you talked to a lawyer or legal aid? As far as speeding up the process, we are not legal experts here, but we can provide you with legal aid resources. Below are some referrals for your state that we hope can be of help to you.

Boulder
    BOULDER CO LEGAL SERVICES
    Phone number: 303-449-7575
    8:30am-5:00pm Monday to Friday

Fort Collins
    COLORADO LEGAL SERVICES
    Phone number: 970-493-2891
    8:30am-12:00pm, 1:00pm-4:00pm Monday to Friday

You also mentioned that you have previously been abused. That must have been difficult for you. How have you coped with that? Have you ever considered attending a support group or going to see a counselor? If these are options for you we can try and find resources for you based on your city or town.

You are welcome to discuss any of these issues further by calling our hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are available 24/7 and are confidential. We hope that the information we have provided is beneficial to you and if there is anything else you need, do not hesitate to contact us.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X