Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know what to do

My dad has never been able to do anything with me whether it's sport or take me to the cinema because he has a serious gene illness which makes his whole body sore and everything he does difficult. All my life I have been the most understanding of this but whenever I finally get tired of the things he says or does and finally try to say something I just get yelled at and told to actually consider how other people feel for once. No one has ever considered how I feel.
    My mum had a tumour in her throat and even with surgery after 4 or more years or waiting, the effects still continue, this means that both of my parents are ill and to top it all off I have a brother who is lazy and does nothing to help out but nothing is said about him, just me, the very occasional time I try to speak up.
    I have tried talking to both parents separately about the other and how I feel but they twist it around and say I need to be more thoughtful!
    I'm not one to do this kind of thing but I just can't take it anymore, I have no one to talk to and everyday just gets worse as I realise that every Christmas, every Easter, everything will always be the same - they always promise they will do stuff with me but in the end it never happens.
    I feel bad for writing this because I know how bad they feel but I just don't know if I can live with the fact that something will always be wrong and that I will always have to be more thoughtful towards my parents and other family members while I am forgotten and not listened to.
    I get presents for Christmas and all but I would rather not get anything if it meant having a good holiday with my family.
    To sum it up I really just feel alone with no one to talk to about the problems I personally have to deal with and the problems which I have to deal with in regards to my parents. I'm just supposed to deal with it but I'm now almost 16 and have never had anyone to talk to or anyone who understands the kind of life I have to live.

Re: I don't know what to do

Hello and thanks for reaching out on our online forum. It sounds like you and your family have been through a lot and you might be at a breaking point. We’re sorry to hear both of your parents are ill and can’t imagine that makes things easy for anyone in your family. It’s understandable to wish they could do more without physical limitation.

It sounds like the main issue is feeling alone and no having anyone to talk to about your problems. One possible option is checking to see if any support groups for children of ill parents exist in your area. If you’re in the United States and we know your city/state, then we can search our database for resources such as counseling. If you are located in a different country, there is also the Befriender’s Network. They offer emotional support for issues such as depression, suicide, and self-harm worldwide. You can visit their website here if you’re interested, http://www.befrienders.org/.

We are here too if you’d like to further discuss your situation. In order to best help you, we ask you to consider giving us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or trying out our Live Chat (red button on our main page.) Hopefully this gives you a start and best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X