No announcement yet.

My mom threw me out

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mom threw me out

I'm fifteen, my mom told me to get out of her house. I'm at the local library, is this legal?

I don't know if she'll try to find me, this has happened before, but I've come home and slept in the garage or my dad came to find me.

Hi, thank you for reaching out to us at NRS.
    While we are not legal experts, the short answer to your question about whether your mom is legally able to kick you out of the house is: no. If she is your legal guardian, then she has the obligation to provide housing and basic needs for you until you are the legal age of an adult (in most states, 1. Although we do not know many details, unless she arranged for you to stay with another responsible adult, your mom kicking you out could be considered neglect and is something that can be reported. If you are interested in making a report, you can always call the National Child Abuse Hotline at (800) 422-4453, or you are always welcome to contact us and we can file the report together or on your behalf.
    If you have left and are staying away on your own accord, it is not technically illegal for you to run away (it’s sometimes considered a “status offense”), and if your mom did decide to file a runaway report with the police, they would likely just work to bring you home. On the other hand, if there is abuse or neglect at home, then the police can also involve Child Protective Services and work to find an alternative safe environment.
    Please know that we have a 24/7 confidential hotline if you ever want to call to discuss your situation further. We are here to listen and have a database of resources that we can look into to see if they can help. You don’t have to go through this alone.
    Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X