Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to live with my grandparents but my parents are against it.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to live with my grandparents but my parents are against it.

I recently moved to Florida and im from New York. Ive lived here a total of 4 months as of posting this and i absolutely hate it. Its nothing like what im used too and I have honestly tried getting used to it and adapting but i just cant. I want to live with my grandparents in New York because they wanted me in the first place but my parents always guilt trip me into feeling bad about wanting to move. They're always telling me that they moved me and my little sister here to make us happy and to give us a better life. I appreciate them so much but i just cant live here. Ive spoke to them about moving out for college and they were COMPLETELY against it. They want me to attend an in state college instead of the college of my dreams. Im 16 but that doesnt mean im a kid. Ive been in serious legal and school issues many times in the past, but i swear on everything that i WILL change if i can only move back home to New York. I don't want to ruin my relationship with both my parents by forcefully telling them i am leaving but i also don't want to stay here. Advice?

Hi there, thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. It seems like you are dealing with something very difficult. It must be hard to live in a new state and miss your hometown. It must also be difficult to not have your parents support some of the decisions you want to make. As you mentioned, it seems like your parents felt the move was going to give you a better life and that may not seem like the case right now. You also mentioned that your parents would often guilt trip you into feeling bad about wanting to move back to New York and that must feel terrible. You have every right to determine what you feel may be best for you and most preferable. It may be beneficial to ask your parents about moving with your grandparents, even if it’s temporary for now, and potentially formulate a plan to see if they are willing to compromise. Just so you know, we do offer a conference service here at NRS and can assist you with having a conference call with your parents to discuss this matter with some support. However, if you decide to tell them you are choosing to leave instead, we would encourage you to have a safe and stable plan regarding travel, shelter, food, and safety as you head to your grandparents in New York. At 16, it may be beneficial to keep in mind that your parents are responsible for you, as you are not yet a legal adult and there is the possibility that a runaway report could be filed. In this case, if you were to encounter the police, there is the risk of having to return back home. You mentioned some legal issues in the past and if any of those issues are still active, the risk of some legal implications could be at risk if you choose to run away as well. Ultimately, your safety and comfort in your environment is a priority and if you would like to discuss this as well as any other concerns further, please feel free to give us a call any time at our 24/7 hotline 1800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat with us at any time by visiting out website, 1800runaway.org. We wish you the very best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X