Verbally Abusive Parents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verbally Abusive Parents

My parents are always arguing, screaming at each other and after getting so angry they take it out on me. This happens daily, its been happening for over a year, with no end in sight. I don't like to self diagnose but from what I've read about and looked at, I'm positive I have some sort of depression from this. I no longer want to do anything I once enjoyed and my life seems to be slowly falling apart. I try to explain this to my parents but they don't understand, they get mad at me again and scream at me and take my computer and phone (my only access to talk to friends and somewhat release the stress when I'm home.) I'm depressed living here, I have 2 more years before I can leave and I don't know if I can make it. I've tried talking to them about going to a different counselor, they are going to a Christian Marriage counselor but I believe the religious part being brought into it makes for a biased opinion and doesn't help. I asked about bringing me to a doctor or something so I can at least find a way to ease the bad feeling I always have but they once again get mad at me and say I'm ridiculous and making excuses. My dad is manipulative and an overall jerk, he calls me names and screams at me and says just the worst things, he's only once done something physical and that was ramming a power washer into my legs trying to put it back when I was cleaning the garage and he got mad. It left two big bruises on my ankles. Since everything he does is verbal there's no real way to report it and I don't know what to do. I need help, I don't want to fail and be so depressed and upset anymore, there's no where to turn anymore.

Re: Verbally Abusive Parents

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing on our online forum. It seems like things between you and your parents are really strained. It must be extremely frustrating wanting to seek out help from a counselor or a medical professional and not being able to. We’re glad that you reached out to us and hope the information we can provide is helpful.

First off, we want you to know that no one has the right to hurt you. You deserve to live in an environment where you feel safe and comfortable. You mentioned that you’ve thought about reporting your dad’s behavior before. It can be a challenge to prove emotional abuse, but emotional abuse is very much a concern and you shouldn’t be in a position where you have to endure that on an ongoing basis. It’s also concerning that your parents are denying you medical attention. Whether it’s physical health or mental health, those are services that you deserve access to. We aren’t here to tell to report or not report, but we would be happy to explore that option more with you if you call in or chat with us. You may also find this website useful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. They also have a hotline where they can answer more questions about reporting abuse and what typically happens after a report is filed. Their hotline number is 1-800-422-4453.

As far as finding help to find a counselor, it seems like your parents are against you seeing one outside of the marriage and family therapist that you’re currently seeing. It sounds like having someone you’re comfortable talking with is really important for you to feel better. It seems like you’ve tried telling your parents what you feel you need already. Is there anyone else you feel comfortable talking to about this struggle with your parents? Maybe a relative, a family friend, or a school counselor? Maybe there’s someone who can speak to them on your behalf or even mediate a conversation between you and your parents to make them see how important this is for you and your well-being. It’s great that you have support from your friends. Is there anyone you feel like you can talk to in the meantime? Maybe your school can be helpful also in providing you with a list of resources that you can go to for counseling services. We can also look up that information if you call or chat with us.

We thank you again for contacting us. We’re sorry to hear that your home life is such a struggle right now and we hope that you are able to get the care that you want and need. We hope that you do reach out again to discuss your situation in more detail. We are always here if you just want someone to talk to about what you’re going through.

Stay strong,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X