No announcement yet.

Overly Strict Parents

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overly Strict Parents

Hi! So, I'm a 17 year old female living at home with both my parents and three younger siblings. We reside in Ohio. I've had past runaway and suicide attempts for some really bad family issues. My dad used to be physically abusive, but since I had been been put under legal protection in a group home for a little over a year. I got out of the group home in October of last year. My dad has just been making sly comments about me being a slut, fat, ungrateful, or about how everything is my fault since I've gotten out. I will be 18 in June, seven months for me. My mom is pretty chill, for the most part. She doesnt let me do whatever I want, but she also doesnt try to control every aspect of my life. As a senior in high school, my dad has been becoming more strict. He didnt want me joining the cheerleading team, and he doesn't want me to go on the senior trip, he wouldnt let me join girl scouts for my last year, and hes withholding my ability to socialize with others. I dont have a job, and I feel its important for me to go out and do more things to prepare myself to integrate into society as an adult. This, for me, includes hanging out with friends, volunteering, and joining clubs. My dad has also been trying to control my mother financially. He will use her bank card and even withhold some of her own money. They were arguing about it a couple days ago. Hes always complaining how nobody ever does anything. My mother works her main job and has something like a side job at a stable. My sister works on the weekends. And I help clean the house and watch the youngest two kids who are 11 and 7. Its becoming harder because i ask for one thing once a week. The only thing i ever ask is that i can go over to a friends house on Saturdays. Every other day I'm babysitting two kids that cuss me out and pull my hair and scratch and bite me. I just dont know what to do. Without me, the family would fall apart, but my dad makes me want to hurt myself. I feel worthless and like i mean nothing when my dad is involved. Its Thanksgiving today, and everyone in the family was having a good day. I was helping clean the house and make food most of the day. When we sat down to eat, I asked if I could go to my boyfriends house tomorrow to celebrate the holiday. My dad started yelling at me and making me feel like trash. I mean-- I'm almost 18, right? Why is my dad becoming more strict. I've done everything hes asked and I'm still treated like I cant make my own desicions. What do I do? What can I do?? Like, if I just went over to his house to hang out for a few hours, would that be okay?? As long as they knew I was there, and that I was safe. Could I get into legal trouble?

Hi there,
    Thank you so much for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a lot at home, and reaching out during difficult times is always very courageous. You are very strong and do not deserve to be treated so cruelly and to be called such mean names.

One option you have is to reach out to the police anonymously and with hypothetical questions regarding your situation. If you were to go to your boyfriend’s house with your parents knowing, you could get into legal trouble if your parents filed a runaway report.

You can also call Child Help (1-800-422-4453) with information about abuse reporting. They may be able to help you navigate reporting your abuse, if that is something you would feel comfortable doing.

Again, you do not deserve to be treated the way your father is treating you. You can always reach out to us at the National Runaway Safeline, 1-800-RUNAWAY, as we are toll-free, confidential, and 24/7.

Good luck and be safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X