Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 and moving out.

I'm turning 17 in a few days. I genuinely think that moving out would be the best case scenario for me. I have numerous mental health issues including PTSD from sexual assault that i can't tell my parents about. Comments they make about me are extremely damaging. I see a therapist and do family therapy. I have a place to stay short term so that I can still attend my school. My question is, will I lose my health insurance and financial aid eligibility by leaving?

Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a very difficult situation. We’re so sorry to hear that you were sexually assaulted—no one ever deserves that, and it must be especially difficult not being able to share that with your parents. It’s also horrible that your parents are making damaging comments about you. As your parents, it is their role to support you and care for you. It sounds like you do have a therapist, which can hopefully help ease some of the stress. If you ever do want to talk about how you’ve been feeling, you’re welcome to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929. We’re open 24/7 to listen and help. Another resource that could be useful is RAINN (rape, abuse, incest national network); their number is 1-800-656-4673.
    Regarding your questions, we should first say that we are not experts so can only give some general information. If you are on your parents’ health insurance plan, you may be able to keep that until you are 26 in many situations—that is, unless your parents decide to remove you from their plan. If that is the case, you may be eligible for free or sliding scale insurance. For more information on that, you might want to get in contact with a local social services agency. If you need help finding a resource, feel free to give us a call at the number we listed above. As far as financial aid, that may also prove tricky. If you have a high school guidance counselor, they would be your best resource for figuring out your next steps. If you’re already in college (or have specific schools you’re interested in), you might want to try calling their financial aid office with specific questions.
    Thank you again for reaching out. If you need anything else—whether that’s resources, options, or just support, feel free to reach out to us at any time. Take care and stay safe.
    --NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hello, I am 13 and I am about to run away from home. My parents are so strict that I basically can't do anything at my house. I am always different from everyone else because my parents barely let me use any technology. Can you help me find a place to stay

Comment

Hi,
        Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a stressful situation at home and have made the decision to leave. It must be very frustrating feeling like you aren’t allowed to do anything at your home, including technology. As you may know, you are considered a minor at the age of 13. If you leave without parental consent, your parents would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police are able to find you they may return you home. That being said, if you believe leaving is your only option, you might consider staying at the following places: a friend’s place, another family member’s place, or a youth shelter. If you need help finding a shelter in your area, feel free to give us a call and we’ll do our best to help you find something. We are here 24/7 to listen, provide resources, or help you figure out your next steps. Our number is 1-800-786-2929.
        Sincerely,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X