Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am bisexual and I live with an extremely homophobic family.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am bisexual and I live with an extremely homophobic family.

Hi, whoever reads this. I'm 20 years old and I live with my very strict christian family. They are absolutely disgusted and even have the expression about-to-vomit whenever they see gay/lesbian couples on TV or in public and will say, “Tsk” , “That's disgusting” , “Ew.” Once, the three of us were going to the beach, and were walking behind a gay couple holding hands, and my parents felt the strong need to cross to the other side of the street.

I'm not one for confrontation. I would just like to leave a letter on the table, leave and never look back. However, I have nowhere to go. I do know for a fact that they would kick me out if I came out to them. My sister was dating a guy (who was not part of our religion) and my parents said to her, “If you want to continue dating him, you cannot stay here.” So imagine what they'd say if they found I wanted to date a girl (or a boy).

I do have a drivers license, so I can get around at least. But I recently lost my job (it went out of business), so I have very little money in the bank. I've been job hunting, but nothing seems to turn up. I don't know what to do.

I'm just tired of living a lie.

Re: I am bisexual and I live with an extremely homophobic family.

Hello there,

Thank you for posting to our online forum. We are sorry to hear that things between you and your parents are so difficult. It must be very uncomfortable to be living alongside your family knowing that they are not accepting of your sexual orientation. It’s understandable that you would be looking into other living options and we’re glad that you decided to reach out to us.

It can definitely be challenging leaving home without much support outside your family or financial supports so it’s good that you are trying to plan ahead. Is there anyone that you could stay with, such as a friend or relative? Is there anyone outside your family that you feel you can talk to about how you’re feeling? It sounds like your sister has also struggled with similar disapproval from your parents about her dating choices. Is she someone you feel you can trust or rely on for support?

If you choose to contact us directly, we would be happy to discuss your options in more detail. We can also look up and see if there are any youth shelters in your area where you could stay. There might even be some specifically for people of the lgbtq community. In addition to calling us, you might want to also reach out to the GLBT Hotline: 1-888-305-4673. They might be able to offer help or suggestions.

We hope this information is useful and hope you try giving us a call or chatting with us online.

Stay strong,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X