Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My stepdad.

This is a long one. I'm 14 and don't know what to do about my family.

My mother used to make me severely depressed. I attempted suicide all the time. But after counseling she realized she was being harmful and I got on antidepressants. Now we have a great relationship and I don't have the urge to harm myself anymore.

The problem is my stepdad. The day I met him was the day he moved in. We went to Dave & Buster's with his son and he called a lady racial slurs for taking a parking space.

On July 4th of that year, he got drunk, called me a ****, harassed my mother and I with threats of shooting us, threatened to drive to her work and get her fired, and kicked us out of the house. The next morning my mother had to go into the house with a knife to make sure it was safe to take me home.

Things never got better. He continued to blame us for everything and even tried to forbid us from seeing our family.

Later that year a hurricane knocked out our power. My uncle and grandma were staying with us since their area was getting hit pretty badly. He got drunk and started screaming at my uncle and eventually attacked him. The kitchen was covered in blood. I called 911 and the police kicked us out of our own home and told us to stay at a hotel. He was making gun signs at us as we left.

Again, nothing changed. The most recent exchange still hurts to think about. We were standing in line at Dairy Queen and he was making racist jokes. I wasn't comfortable with it and ignored him. He freaked out and walked off. My mom and I got our food and he called my mom demanding that she dropped me off since I was being "**** and then came back and took him home. She didn't want to since I didn't do anything. He got in the car and screamed at me. Apparently he found out I was a lesbian and started calling me slurs. After he called me a ********* my mother slapped his arm and he threatened to call the police on her. We got home and I went to my room to avoid the screaming.

Every day he makes comments about me. I get distracted easily, so he says I have ADD. He calls me stupid and an idiot. He makes fun of the way I speak and dress. The list goes on. He almost left and was going to take 2 of my parrots with him and a ton of their food and toys, along with my bed.

I love my mom, but I don't feel safe in my own home anymore. My friend's mom picks me up when I tell her things are bad and refuses to take me home if my stepdad is the only one there. She's the only person I feel safe with anymore. I've tried to volunteer at the animal shelter to stay away from home but my mom has been putting off getting the papers for almost half a year. I would get them myself but I'm not allowed to leave the house since I live in a pedophile and drug addict infested neighborhood.

I can't stay with my real dad. He dropped contact 10 months ago and is in jail for posession of heroin. The rest of my family is 15 hours away. I just don't know what I should do.
    Last edited by ccsmod9; 11-20-2018, 12:26 AM.

Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website (www.1800runaway.org) (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X