No announcement yet.

16 year old running away to Kansas City, MO

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 year old running away to Kansas City, MO

    My dad has abused me since I was six years old. Why? For 'stealing' food (it was actually just me eating food in the house without asking). It continued and he abused both my brother and I throughout our whole childhood. During the summer, my aunt brought groceries in the house while my dad was gone and me and my brother each got chips and a pack of cookies. When my dad found out, he beat ME for it but not my brother. He left marks all over my back with the belt, kicked me, punched me, stepped on my hipbone. I called my aunts on my late mother's side and they 'talked it out', and he promised to not do it again but then less than a week later he hurt me for getting some of 'his' Koolaid from the fridge. Not to mention he abuses my dog and stuff too. But he never ever hurts my brother anymore. He used to abuse my mom (before she died of breast cancer in February 2014) when we were kids until she called the police. But now that my mom is dead, he treats me however. He won't let me get a job or license because he wants to keep me stuck here forever. He also treats me horribly for being pansexual and having an eating disorder. I was diagnosed with anorexia and I'm supposed to get treatment but he never took me. He just treats me like a punching bag. I want to run away. My brother (he's 15) is fine with it cause he hates our father too. I plan on running away December 19th, during winter break. I have a long distance friend in Kansas City, Missouri (I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) who knows about the situation. Her family is going to let me live with them, but getting there is the problem. Food and drink isn't a problem, but transportation is. I'm packing everything: clothes, personals, stuff like that. I'll come back when I'm eighteen to get my birth certificate and stuff. But I don't know how to find a way to get someone to take me there without money. I'm stuck.

  • #2
    Re: 16 year old running away to Kansas City, MO

    Hi there-

    Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a brave person to reach out and share their story like you have. First off, we’d like to say that we’re so sorry you’re being treated the way you are by your father. No one deserves to be abused, especially by their parents in their home. We also send our condolences for the passing of your mother. We see that he hurts you for eating the food you have in your home. You also shared that he treats you badly because you are pansexual and does not get you the treatment you need for anorexia. It sounds like you’ve made up your mind about wanting to run away but do not have proper access to transportation to do so.

    Have you considered filing an abuse report with your local police department? We know this can be a difficult thing to think about so we encourage you to give us a call at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) so we can talk through with you what reporting might look like. If you choose to go through with it and would like our support, we could stay on the phone with you while you make the report via conference call with the police department. For more information on the subject of child abuse or for more support regardless of whether you file a report, ChildHelp is a great organization that seeks to help those in situations like yours. They can be reached at 1-800-422-4453.

    It also sounds like you are not receiving the support you deserve from your father in regards to your sexual identity. We understand this can be incredibly frustrating and want you to know you’re not alone. The GLBT National Hotline is a great service to use where you can get one-on-one support from other GLBT+ individuals who can speak with you about coming-out issues, relationship concerns, bullying, workplace issues, HIV/AIDS anxiety and safer-sex information, and lots more. You can reach them Monday-Friday from 3pm-12am and Saturday 12pm-5pm CST. You can also chat with them online by going to their website at and clicking ‘peer chat.’

    Next, we see you are struggling with anorexia and not getting the treatment that you need. We’re sorry to hear this and understand this is probably very difficult for you. The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa might be able to give you some support. They can provide answers to sufferers of eating disorders about their symptoms and make referrals to treatment options, support groups and resource people. You can reach them at 630-577-1330 Monday-Friday 9am-5pm CST.

    Finally, we’d like to encourage you to reach out to us here so we could help you consider your options in running away. There are a lot of important factors to consider when thinking about running away (shelter, safe transportation, how you will get money for food and other necessities, enrolling in school, etc.). We want to help you feel safe and supported and can do that best by speaking with you via call or chat. Our phone number is above, and you can chat with us online by going to and clicking on the ‘chat’ link. We want to remind you that we are here 24/7 by phone to listen and help.

    Good luck and stay safe.

    National Runaway Safeline
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp