No announcement yet.

My Mom kicked me out but now wants me back , i dont want to go

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My Mom kicked me out but now wants me back , i dont want to go

    My mother cussed me out on fb being verbally abusive and told me to leave and not come back , so i havent been home well now she is wanting me to come back i dont want to i dont think i will be safe there what can i do , i have screen shots of the conversation and one issue is my mother is a DHR adult services social worker i am 17 years old

  • #2
    RE: My Mom kicked me out but now wants me back , i dont want to go

    We are so glad you reached out to us today. The situation with your mother sounds really stressful and it takes a lot of courage to reach out for help.

    Some people in your situation try to find someone to moderate a discussion between the two of you about what both of your expectations will be if you move back in. You could discuss what went wrong, how you feel when she treats you like that on fb and how you don’t feel safe around her when she is like that. The NRS crisis line (800) 786 2929 is an anonymous hotline that would be able to do that if your mother would participate.

    We hope you are able to find a resolution you can both be happy with. It sounds like you want to improve your relationship with your mother and looking outside for help is a really brave first step.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      Hey, I’m almost 16 years old, my mum has kicked me out and wants me back, she does this a lot I am mentally abused at home, I am with child services camhs, they have said for me to stay here while I work through this , 16 you can legally leave , can I apply for a student visa at 16? as I am on my mothers I’d like my own.


      • ccsmod4
        ccsmod4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

        We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time at home and currently you are in the custody of child protective services.
        It is unfair that you are in this situation but it is not your fault that your mother has treated you this way. We are not legal experts. We suggest that you consider speaking with your case manager about steps to apply for a student visa. They may have more information that directly involve your situation.

        We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

        Take care,

    • #4
      I’m 17 years old and my mom kicked me out in a different state and told me I had to find my own place to live. I have and now she’s threatening to call the police and report me as a runaway when I’m applying for school, working, and have a place to lay my head. She threatened me and my sister as well as her “husband” Is there any way I can stay away from going back to her?


      • ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now.
        One option you do have is emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works.  Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation.  In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents.  It also helps to be in good standing at school.  The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18.  The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat.  
        We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp