No announcement yet.

Parents want to move to Scotland and open a cafe

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Parents want to move to Scotland and open a cafe

    So about a month ago my mum told me she's contacted an estate agent and has put the flat on the market. She and paul (my stepdad) want to sell the flat and buy a Chinese takeaway shop and turn it into a cafe in a village in Scotland with a tightly knit community, not considering the fact that it would take at least £50k to do up the cafe properly, and that the rent on the house they're putting money towards to is 1k a month. And paul wants to retire in two years, and always complains about money and debt. They both suffer from bipolar and my mum is showing signs but Paul does not seem to notice. And I'm worried that the whole thing will crash because my mum hasn't even considered the simplest things about a cafe like UV note reader or a chip and pin, saying you can get fruad on them. Also Paul has been swearing and shouting at me whenever I try to bring up points and explain to them they simply don't have enough money to do it, and when I've explained to my mum she's just ended up walking out on me. And they haven't been feeding me properly, some nights I'll go hungry and my mum will just say there's a crossiant in the fridge. Some of the signs of when my mum is going off, is that she hates my nan and she keeps sagging her off. And at the dinner table Paul said to me stop playing your pissing games and do some research on Scotland and my mum went off at him talking to me like that then she said it's only a one off but he keeps doing it and she just ignores him. But also if I go to Scotland if my mum goes off there will be nobody to help her and nobody to look after me as usually when that happens I stay with my grandparents on my dad's side. I also only get to see my dad once a month since he suffers with schritsophrenia. But I won't be able to see the rest of my family. And my mum booked my into a grammar school in Scotland and dropped this entire thing on me just a month ago and just managed to sell the flat to the council for 40k and other points I've brought up to her like school, she just says there's free tuition in Scotland but I found out that's only if you're a Scottish national. Also I'm wondering if I have any rights to stay with my grandparents instead as Paul is saying I have no rights and have to go with them and home is just really toxic and I can't really explain the entire situation. Oh yeah another thing is that a few monthssl ago I came down with vertigo and it's only been getting worse because of this and the doctors are saying it's now a stress related dizziness. Also one time I was left home Lone with just Paul he kept going off at me and swearing about Scotland treating me and such, knowing he can't actually hit me or he'll go to jail. And one extra bit I forgot to mention is that they are in debt and I'm also 14.​

  • #2
    Hello –

    Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes great courage to reach out. I’m sorry to hear that life at home has become so stressful that it has led you to getting somatic symptoms like vertigo, that must be a difficult situation to deal with. Being neglected is never ok, especially from those that you care about.

    Having a place to stay to ensure that you are safe is the most important thing. We are not legal experts, but in the US staying with your grandparents without your parents’ permission is not illegal but since you are a minor, your guardians have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home unless you express to them that you live in an unsafe environment. If you end up staying with your grandfather, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Because we are based in the US, our information about runaways may not be accurate in any other country so you may be better off calling the UK Childline at 0800 1111 to learn more about the process of running away and any legal issues that go along with that.

    If you would like to discuss the issues at home or why you want to stay with your grandfather, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

    We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are available 24/7 and can be toll-free reached at the number listed above. We are confidential, anonymous, and non-direct.

    Best Wishes
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp