Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I live with my grandparents?

My mom and dad got divorced before I was born and thus my dad had to move back in with his parents as the divorce was very expensive. My dad worked all day so my grandparents raised me, I grew up in my grandparents house and so that became home to me. My dad and I have nothing in common and he always favored my sister, so we always had arguments. Then when I turned 13 my dad moved out and let me spend the weekends with my grandparents. I wanted to spend more time with my grandparents, but I tolerated it. Then about ten weeks ago my dad stopped allowing me to spend the weekends with them saying, "We need to spend more time together." Those weekends I spent with my grandparents kept me sane, it's the only thing I looked forward to. He was just using this as an excuse, we fought so often that we stopped talking all together.

My grandparents are my real parents, they raised me and their house will always be my home. My dad is just trying to tear us apart and I hate him for it. If I can't see my grandparents then I have no reason to stay with my dad. I have thought about running away before, but the thought of never seeing my grandparents again kept me from doing so. Now that I am unable to see them there's nothing holding me back. I have always wanted to live with my grandparents, but I'm pretty sure that my dad has full control over who I live with regardless of who I want to live with.

RE: Can I live with my grandparents?

Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are going through a very tough time right now with not being able to see your grandparents. We are here to provide you support and assist you in the best possible way.
    We are not legal experts here but we can provide you with some general information. If you do decide to runaway, since you are a minor your father has a right to file a runaway report. If a runaway report is filed and you are picked up by the police for whatever reason, there is a possibility that you may be returned home.
    We understand that this a difficult time for you and we are glad that you reached out to NRS. When running away here are a few questions to consider:
    • Do I have a place to stay?
    • Who can I depend on if I leave home?
    • Do I have a safe, solid plan?
    • What is my plan B in case my first plan doesn’t work?
    If you choose to go live with your grandparents your legal guardian or parents would need to give them permission to care for you. If you runaway to your grandparents home and a runaway report is filed there is a chance that your grandparents can be charged with harboring a runaway.
    You are so strong for reaching out to us! If you would like you can always give us a call here and we can offer you additional support as well as possibly connect you to some resources. Please feel free to give us a call at 1-800- RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are here 24/7 and available to assist you. We look forward to hearing from you!

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X