Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I safe?

Okay so I'm 17, turning 18 in December. I'm homeschooled and take dual enrollment at my local university. My mom and I have had an episode this passed summer. That was over, said, and done. I had a boyfriend at the time and we're still together. My brother and him helped me with the situation with my mom. My boyfriend then left to Illinois for college and we maintain a long distance relationship (I live in Memphis). My brother soon started a new job and there was gang related activity that caused him to feel endangered so he quit. From that point on, he's been relating EVERYTHING to gangs and prostitute rings. Simple things like "Which way do I turn on this street?" "Oh i think you go that way *points left* yeah, you go left." " Don't hold your hand like that, it means something." Or like my mo does Mary Kay beauty consulting and I asked if I could be her recruit once I turn 18 and she said yes. She was talking to her director about it on the phone while my brother and I were in the car. He was like " Let me put you up on game, 'Mary Kay' isn't 'Mary Kay.' That could be a h** line that she's putting you in." I tried to explain to him that I've been going to their meeting for years and that they aren't those kinds of people. He wouldn't listen. So my boyfriend came back how for fall break. My brother took EVERYTHING he did offensively from hand gestures, facial expressions, to his speech. He then tried to "banish" him from our entire apartment complex... He tried to make up break up too. He is also trying to take away my freedom to drive alone. I have to do to school and work, so now I have to depend on him to drive me. HE MADE ME LATE TO WORK. He is literally one of the most inconsiderate human beings. I want to move out a couple months after I turn 18. I've already contacted the apartments that I want to move to. They are expecting me to sign the lease when I'm ready in December. I don't want my brother looking for me or "sending people out for me." Yes, my boyfriend is planning to move in with me as well. I don't want our lives to be in danger. My brother keeps threatening my boyfriend's life. Please help

re: Am I safe?

Hello,

It sounds like you are having a really tough time with your brother attempting to control things in your life. That must be really frustrating to deal with. That can be really tough to escape since your brother is driving you where you need to go.

You seem like a pretty resourceful young person who has some pretty important things planned for your future. That’s really great! You mentioned that you will be moving out once you are 18 in about a month. Usually, once you are that age, you may be considered a legal adult in your state. I’m not exactly sure what type of help you are looking for, but usually if you need help with someone who is threatening your life you would have to contact local police.

If you need to, you can always contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We can talk about any possible ideas that can help you in this situation. Lastly, please note that we offer a live chat via our website at www.1800runaway.org every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST.

Take care and stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X