Should I run away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I run away?

I'm a 15 year old girl and I want to get out of the situation I'm in as soon as possible. My parents have hated my boyfriend ever since I met him last year and they forbid us to be together. Despite this, we still stayed together and were able to see each other in school. The longer we stayed together, the more we loved each other. When my parents would find out that I was talking to him, they would get into shouting matches with me for hours on end. This summer when school let out, my boyfriend and I stayed together even though we couldn't see each other. The distance was becoming too much for us so one night, he came to my house while my parents were asleep. He dropped his phone and my parents found him. Shortly after this, my mom took me to Ohio against my will. She didn't give me any lines of communication with anyone else while I was there and we stayed there for about 2 weeks. While I was there, she emotionally abused me the whole time. She told me I deserve to go to hell for what I've done and that I'm more trouble than I'm worth. She even told me she didn't have any more motherly love for me. When I got back home, I was completely hopeless and didn't think my life would get any better, so I attempted suicide. It didn't work, obviously. I have been doing better with this since I've been on antidepressants. However, recently my parents got physically abusive when I got in school suspension for skipping class. They assumed I was skipping with my boyfriend and they took my phone and locked up all the home phones so I would have no way of contacting him or anyone else. When I tried to hide one of the home phones, my parents locked me in a bathroom with them so I couldn't get out. Even after they got the phone from me they still attacked me. My father pinned me to the floor and wouldn't let me get up even though I screamed. He also punched me a couple times and pushed me into the side of the shower. When I told my boyfriend about this, he called the police to my house and they didn't do anything. They are friends with a couple of my family members who are already in law enforcement so they left me with my parents and my mom pressed charges against me for assault and battery. I know my parents love me very much and I don't want to hurt them but if I don't get away they will homeschool me or send me to a school out of state and I will never see my boyfriend or my friends again. I want to run away but I'm afraid my parents will call the police and they will find me before I can get help from CPS. What should I do?

Re: Should I run away?

Hey there,

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We’re really glad you reached out and we’ll do our best to help you any way we can.

We’re so sorry to hear about the awful things your parents have said and done to you. You definitely do not deserve to be treated like that because everyone deserves a loving and supportive home. It seems like your boyfriend is very supportive, but you do not get to speak with him often. Is there anyone else, such as a friend or an adult at school, who you could go to for support? We’re always here to listen if you need someone to talk to. You also mentioned that you had tried to commit suicide and we are glad that you have been able to overcome that. The National Suicide Hotline is also a great resource if you are ever feel suicidal in the future. They can be reached at 1-800-273-TALK.

From what you described, it sounds like there is a fair amount of abuse going on at home. It has got to be extremely frustrating that the police did not respond appropriately. Have you tried reaching out to either the police or CPS directly to file an abuse report? We know that sounds intimidating, but if you give us a call we can file one for you, or anyone at school could too as school personnel are mandated reporters.

You also mentioned that you want to run away but you are worried your parents will call the police. We are not legal experts here, but generally, if you are under the age of 18 and leave home without your parent’s permission they have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is just a status offense, so you would not get into any major legal trouble, but they would most likely take you back home. Also something to keep in mind is that anyone over the age of 18 that you are staying with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Do you have any idea where you would go and how you would stay safe? These are all things we would be happy to discuss with you further.

Lastly, if you have contacted NRS through another means (for example, live chat or email) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Re: Should I run away?

i also don't know if i shou;d run away, im 12 and im locked up in my house and i cant stand it my mom doesnt abuse me much but she does yell at me, i want to get away, i sluffed like 2 times and went shopping with my buds, so she got mad and pulled me out of school.
      i mean who doesnt sluf at least once? anyway pls tell me what to do.

Comment

RE: Should I runaway?

Thank you so much for contacting us. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation at home and there seems to be a lot going on. It might be helpful for you to call us so we can learn more about what is going on with you before we can discuss your options with you. We are here 24/7 and are ready to talk with you and support you in the best way we can. Please call, we really want to help you but need a little more information in order to do so.

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X