Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My stepmom is driving me crazy

I'm 16, about to turn 17 and I've been having an ongoing conflict with my stepmom basically since she came like 6 years ago. At this point, her (what my peers, my dad, and I perceive as) mental instability has gotten the best of her and she's actually delusional. She thinks the whole world is out to get her or something and she thinks that I'm always trying to make her miserable. Honestly, I'm so scared that one day she's going to poison my food or something because she's exhibited that she's capable of vengeance. Just today, she accused me of going into her room (which she keeps locked all the time btw) when she forgot to lock it, and cutting her her clothes. She then accused me of creating oil and sauce stains on her clothing. When I denied her accusations, she threatened me with oil stains magically appearing on my clothing since it happens to her. In other words, she's basically saying if I don't stop damaging her things, she'll do the same to me. The problem is, I haven't done anything so I can't really "stop". I'm really tired of being falsely accused of things I haven't done, and I've honestly developed some kind of anxiety from her. I'm going off to college in less than a year, but I really just want all of this to end now. I'm literally going through the most important part of my high school career with this crazy lady in my house adding to my stress. I also do not wish for someone like her to live with my dad for the rest of his life. I love my dad, and I think that she might bring harm to him. My dad thinks that he can endure it as long as she doesn't step too out of line, but I don't want him dying from a heart attack or panic attack because of her. He's 63 this year and she's 15 years younger, so you can imagine what might happen. Is there anything I can do about my situation and if she does end up damaging my clothing can I like report her or something?

Hello there, please see our response to your similar post:

"Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a very stressful situation with your stepmom and her being paranoid that you are doing things to get clothing when you aren't. That must be hard to deal with on a regular basis. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you during this time.

It sounds like you are wondering if you can report your stepmom so that she can leave without it affecting your dad. In general, you do have the right to report emotional abuse to child protective services (CPS). Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. CPS would have to find the abuse very severe to remove you from the home, or to press charges against her. So it is hard to say whether or not they would accept a report, and if they do accept it and investigate it would hard to be removed due to those circumstances. It is possible CPS could provide services such as family counseling. To learn more about your reporting rights you might reach out to the experts at Child Help 1-800-422-4453.

If you haven't already you might let your dad know what she said to you and how the situation is making you feel, and how you are worried about him as well. It is awesome that you have such a great relationship with him, and it is clear that you care a lot about him. Maybe if he knows how you are feeling, he can better help you with things sush as letting you stay with others when your need, or talking to your stepmom on your behalf.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat.

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

-NRS"
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X