Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

My mom &' my step dad have recently been going through a divorce but for the past 4 years my mom has told me over &' over again that she's hated me &' I've ruined her life. I'm 16 years old &' I don't know what to do at this point. She accuses me of having sexual relationships with my step dad &' he's been in my life since I was 3. She just does crazy stuff like thinks people are following her &' poisining her. I'm a straight A student &' I don't do drugs or anything but tomorrow she said that she's going to go to the court house to try &' get me locked up because I think she just wants to ruin my life because I actually enjoy life so I don't know if I should just pack some bags a&' take off or what I should do.

Re: Help

Hello,

We’re glad that you reached out to us at the National Runaway Safeline – it sounds like you are going through a very stressful situation with your Mom. We’re here to listen and to help. From what you’ve said, it sounds like your family has been going through a lot of changes recently, and that can be difficult and confusing for everyone involved.

Based on your description, it sounds like you feel that your Mom may be transferring some of her frustrations elsewhere onto her relationship with you. You do not deserve to be treated poorly because someone is having difficulty in other areas of their life, nor to shoulder the blame for their problems. That must be hard to cope with – do you have someone who you are able to talk to about what’s happening and to offer you support during this time?

Regarding what your mom said about seeking to have you locked up: We’re not legal experts, but speaking in general terms, that’s not how the system works – she cannot have you detained just because, or without cause.

From what you’ve said, it sounds like you're concerned about how your mom is behaving at times – has anyone else noticed this behavior, like another adult in your family, a neighbor, or someone involved with the divorce proceedings? Have you considered talking to someone about it? It’s important that you feel safe in your home and around your mom. If this is something that you’d like to talk about further, confidentially, we are here to listen 24 hours, 7 days a week and have a database of resources to help you explore options.

It sounds like you’ve made your happiness and well-being a priority, and that is a good thing. If you feel that you need to leave your situation in order to maintain that, we can help you think through your options to ensure your safety, and determine what you think is best for you --including connecting you with legal resources in your area if that is something that you want to explore.

We hope this information is helpful and encourage you to contact us directly if you want to discuss your situation in more detail.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Help

Yes everyone knows how my mother is. Her own sisters don't come around anymore. I have a lady that is 44 that is willing to take me into her home. Is there anyway that I could go down to my local courthouse today &' have a judge grant me the right to stay with her for the time being?

Comment

RE: Help

Thanks for writing back. It sounds like an incredibly hard situation. It sounds like you are interested in going to court so you can live with this lady. Going to court might be an option, but it is not something you can do all in one day. Changing custody or seeking emancipation is a legal process that takes time, and minors cannot see a judge just by walking into the court house. If you are interested in going to court, your first step might be to contact a lawyer through legal aid, or to call the court to find out how to file a petition. We can find referrals for legal aid, or help talk through your other options and make a plan. We are here to listen and support you however we can. We are looking forward to your call, and wish you the best of luck.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X