I need to leave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to leave

I am a 16 year old male living in Colorado. I will be 17 in two short months but i cannot stay here for that much longer. My father is very heavily verbally and emotionally abusive to basically my entire family around the clock. I wish to leave as soon as possible and emancipation is not an option. What can I do? If i just leave and they call the police will they even try to do anything since I'm so close to 17?

Re: I Need to Leave

Thank you very much for writing us. We’re here to listen and here to help. Sorry to hear that you have been having dealing with emotional and verbal abuse from your father. That certainly sounds tough. It is understandable that you would want to leave. Since you are not yet the age of majority (18, in most states), running away is a status offense. This means that your parents can file a runaway report and that the police could find you and return you back home. It also means that those who try to help you can be charged with harboring a runaway. They can face fines or even more serious consequences. How local police departments handle runaway cases is up to them. Have you considered calling them to ask what they do if a runaway is close to 17?

Since you are suffering abuse, have you considered calling CPS or the National Child Abuse Hotline? They may be able to investigate and/or remove you from your bad situation. Their phone number is 1-800-4-A-CHILD or 1-800-422-4453.

No matter what, the choice is yours. Whatever consequences or course of action you choose, not that we are here at the National Runaway Safeline to support you. Feel free to call us or chat with us so that we can give you more individualized support.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X