No announcement yet.

I'm 16, almost 17, and i need to leave my parents house.

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 16, almost 17, and i need to leave my parents house.

    So I'm turning 17 in two months, and i live in Colorado. I need to leave my parents house as soon as i can and would like to know what i am currently able to do so that if i leave i will not be returned by a police officer two days later. I do not mind most of my family honestly, it's just my dad. He is verbally and emotionally abusive around the clock to basically my entire family, and there's just no end to it. My mother knows that he should watch what he says or what he calls us or how he speaks to us, but she refuses to stand up for us to him because he has and will verbally abuse her until she is crying, and one of them ends up takeing the car and leaves because they "don't have to deal with this." And i have been looking very deeply into the age of majority and minor laws in Colorado and need help understanding some of it, i cannot get emancipated because in Colorado you are not aloud to before 18 without parental consent (or physical abuse i would imagine) I am not going to survive another two months here, i can literally feel myself tearing apart. What can i do?

  • #2
    RE: I'm 16, almost 17, and i need to leave my parents house.

    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

    As you well stated the legal age to move out of your parent’s home is 18 Yrs. of age.
    However there are laws that are in place to protect children from abuse by a parent or adult.
    It would be up to you to inform the police of your reasons for leaving home.
    One option might consider is contacting Child Protective Services and filing a child abuse report.

    The police could also assist you with contacting CPS to file a report and so can NRS.
    We understand if you might have any reservations about doing this but you should know your safety and wellbeing are important.
    No one deserves to be abused.

    To get help reporting child abuse call: Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453
    Abuse of any form is not something that is easy to face or stand up to.
    You are very brave for speaking out about your situation.

    We would like to offer a referral for your mother in the form of the Domestic Violence hotline at 1-800-799-7233
    She may be able to get emergency services for families in crisis such as shelter etc.

    How does that sound?

    Another option might be to think about a relative or friend you might feel comfortable confiding in and gaining their support. This might allow you to have a safe place to go in an emergency.
    You do not deserve to live in fear at home and suffer from the stress this might be causing you.
    You did a great job by reaching out to NRS.

    We are here to assist you however we may. Call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or (live chat)

    Take Care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove