•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod0
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    Hello, I’m 12 years old and I would like to run away from home. I think I am going into depression and I have really bad anxiety and I think it’s coming from my parents. They really stress me out. I do not get abused but every time I am laying in bed and think about what’s wrong and why I’m upset I feel like my parents are kind of making me really depressed and I don’t know what to do. I have been wanting to run away for a long time now but I want to do it legally without getting in trouble but I’m afraid my parents will find me and I will get in really bad trouble with them. I’m very stressed out. My mom and dad fight sometimes and that really brings me down. I really need some advice on what to do please

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Can i runaway to my grandma she is very in shape to take care of me she has a job , can put me in school, can give me emotional and physical and verbal support and can take care of my needs until we find a legal plan. Im pretty sure my mom wont give permission when i decide to run away but she is verbally and emotionally abusive and is always name calling me treating me like a slave and turning my siblings against me so if i make a child abuse report my siblings will be no help at evidence because my mom has them all tangled up in this lie. I was also diagnosed with depression and anxiety a 2 years ago. Im planning to run away this weekend. I just hope my grandma wont get in trouble. Also my grandma was and foster parent years back.( Just letting you know) Will she get in trouble i decided to run away she didnt encourage me she was just there when i want her to be.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I’m 12 years old and my dad is abusive and my siblings hate me and I’m not happy at home and i want to run away but I have a sister that I can stay with who is very supportive and loves me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to listen and here to help. Going through depression can be really tough and we want you to know that you do not need to go through it alone. One really good resource that may help you is called NAMI (national alliance for mental illnesses). They can be reached at 1800-950-NAMI.
    We know you mentioned wanting to run away, we are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. If you were to run away your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. We know you also mentioned wanting to end your life, and we want you to know you are valuable and you are worth living. There is someone always willing to listen and provide support to you. Ending your life is a permeant decision to a temporary situation. You can always contact The National Suicide Prevention Hotline at: 1800-273-8244.
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please chat with us or give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    im 12 but ive been depressed for 3 years now and i cant do this anymore, i hate my family they were the only people i could trust and yet they f*cked me over too so i just want to run away but my family locks everyhting so its impossible for me to escape because i used to sneak out alot so tbh im either going to commit or just run away and live my life

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. You made a great first step to finding the help that you may need. It sounds like you are going through a lot and the people around you are not unsupportive and do not have the same values you possess. You deserve to be treated with respect, to experience acceptance, and to feel safe.

We want you to know that it is perfectly okay to deviate from what others or the common population believe to be “normal”. You’re bravery and resilience is admirable. You are so strong to go through so much without having the acceptance that you do deserve for just being you. Remember that you are not alone. You are resourceful and it is wonderful you have your loving pets by your side. If you ever want to talk more about what you are experiencing or get additional support we are here 24/7 at 1800-RUNAWAY or our live chat service. The GLBT National Hotline at 1888-843-4564 is another option to gain great support from those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can access their website link bellow to utilize all the other possibly useful resources they have to offer: http://www.glbthotline.org/

If you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or reach out through Live Chat we can try to find some additional resources that may be near your city and state if you wish to pursue more support.

Stay Strong,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 12 and my parents are extremely homophobic and racist and I just cant take it anymore everyday feels like hell like I'm trapped in a box. The only people I like in my family are my pets. I just cant take it anymore

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hi,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

With everything that you have been going through at home with your parent’s it took a lot of courage for you to reach out. We appreciate you sharing your feelings about the situation. Well done. It sounds like you would like to be treated in a fair way and not be yelled at or called names. You don't deserve to be treated or hurt emotionally. It’s not your fault that this is happening.

We are sorry to hear about your dad’s situation. Something like that can be difficult to navigate your feelings.

Sometimes having a place where you can vent about what’s going on and how it is making you feel can be helpful in relieving any stress you may be feeling.

NRS is here to listen and here to help. If you would like to talk more about your situation and explore some options for help, please contact 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org (Live chat).

You did a good job by reaching out to NRS.

Stay strong and take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 12 and I want to run way with my cousin/best friend because my life is hard to me I always get the blame, I feel like a disappointment and my parents barely say good job or I'm proud of you they yell at me and call me names sometimes like stupid, bi**** or a-hole and I always get in trouble for nothing and get everything token away and my dad is in prison.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 06-13-2020, 01:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to share a bit about your situation with us. It was very brave of you to reach out for support from us here at NRS. It sounds like the problems at school and at home with your sister have become quite overwhelming and you are thinking about leaving home. You do not deserve to be bullied at school for any reason and it is not okay that other students are making you feel uncomfortable. You do deserve to be treated with respect and kindness both at home and at school.

We care a lot about your safety and we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time. Running away from home can be dangerous and put your life at risk. We take your concerns and frustrations seriously and want to help you brainstorm other options or ways to stay safe. Sometimes just having a safe space talk through your situation can be allow you to brainstorm ideas you hadn't thought of previously. We encourage you to reach out to any adults that you trust or that might be able to act as a support system for you. This could be your parents, a teacher, counselor, principal, or religious community. We want you to know that you do not have to go through this alone.

You can contact us directly 24/7 by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through our live chat at 1800runaway.org so that we can talk more in-depth about this and better support you. We are here to listen and help as much as possible.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Im 12 and i really want to run away my parents have nothing to do with this its school and my bratty sister. im always picked on at school becuase of my weight and im sick of it my sister always gets me in trouble i allready have a youth shelter picked out i have about 250 bucks im good to go.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe and stay strong,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I feel so depressed and sad.. I keep on thinking about suicide

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X