This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi am 12 and I want to run away

i have a older sister and she is a abusive psychopath.
    i tell my mom but she doesn’t really understand I tried to run away but I didn’t take anything with me

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. You do not deserve to be abused, and we are sorry your mother is not doing what you would like her to do. If you would like you can make an abuse report by calling The Child Help Line at: 1800-422-4453. We know that sometimes making an abuse report can be scary, if you would like our help you can call us at any time.
      You mentioned you tried running away but did not bring your things. One option you could consider is staying with a friend or a family member. We hope that you are in a safe place. If you ever feel unsafe you can always call the police, and someone would be able to help. If you need help looking for shelters in your area you can always give us a call and we can help you look for shelters.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options more please give us a call. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

• I'm 13 years old, and I am concidering running away right now. Everything rightnow is terrible. This all happened when they found out I was pan. I didn't tell them, they searched my stuff and found out. Now, they hate me. Everything I do is wrong to them. I've been depressed so much, trying to kill myself. I cut, and I'm super anxious. I'm just waiting for them to snap. My friend said if I run away, she'd take me in, but I don't wanna burden her more than I already do. What should I do?! I'm so scared.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that your parents are not accepting of your identity. Everyone deserves to be loved for who they are. It sounds like you’re struggling with some pretty serious difficulties and we just want to acknowledge that we know reaching out for help is not easy and that we are glad you did. It’s understandable to feel scared and not know what to do and hopefully we can help you figure some things out.

While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. As a minor, if you run away, your parents are entitled to file a runaway report with the police. While running away is not illegal and you will not get into trouble with the law if you do it, typically the police are allowed to notify your guardian and take you home if they encounter you. Additionally, if you are staying with someone, your parents could have the option to press charges for “harboring a runaway” which is usually considered a misdemeanor offense. Your friend may already understand those potential consequences but it might be worth it to sit down with them and their family and figure out if they are willing to risk that. It does not sound like they think you are a burden to them and they may be understanding and still help you out.

With regards to the depression, anxiety, and self harm that you are experiencing, it might be worth it to ask your school counselor if they can help set you up with a therapist or psychologist. Depression and anxiety and their symptoms are not simple and can be extraordinarily difficult to handle especially on your own. If you are interested in looking for resources in your local area, NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) is a great organization that can help you. They are reachable at 1-800-950 6264 or at nami.org. Another resource you may find useful is TWLOHA (To Write Love On Her Arms). They are an organization that can provide support for people who are struggling with self harm issues. They are reachable at https://twloha.com/.

Of course, you can always reach out to us if you feel like talking more about what’s going on and we can discuss what other options you may have. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or on chat 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• I’m 12 and I’m turning 13 this year

My family is Asian and so I’m Asian but I’m not smart in school nor at anything and my mom calls me stupid and I don’t have a dad, he left when I was young so I only have my mom and others in my family but they are nice to me unlike my mom,I don't like to talk to my mom and she’s over protective and I don’t like that because I still have to walk with someone.
    I don’t like to talk to people because my mom and the teacher who helps me with math told me I have selective mutism and it’s true I get anxiety when talking to people that I don’t know and it’s effecting me with school work and everything I go threw in life,but because of my selective mutism my mom is mean because i don’t talk to people but I do talk to my friends that don’t know about my selective Mutism I think and I do have depression because my face is always sad and I am sad all the time because of my mom,but because of my depression it makes it look like I hate people and I do hate people but my grandparents are mad about it so they yell at my mom then she yells at me and she thinks it helps but it just makes it worse by day.
    This is why I want to run away yet if i do come back to my mom she’s going to be more mad at me so I don’t know what to do,do I run or do I stay home and deal with everything until I kill myself in the further i just can’t take it my anxiety is getting worse and my mom doesn’t believe in me anymore more does she think I have anxiety or depression so she yells at me,But then im actually smart but when it comes to test my memory just goes away so when I do work sheets I get a check mark but then when I do a test I just can’t do it so then I end up failing and then I don’t show my mom the test but she doesn’t know that I ripped up the test and then thrown it out which is good because she would ground me for life.
    I really want to run away from my mom yet I don’t know where to run if I run to a friends house it would be weird for me to be there with them and my mom would go crazy if I ran away yet I don’t think that she would even care that I ran because she doesn’t love me I can fall from everything she’s done since I was a kid when I went to school because I’ve been failing school because I panic a lot and because of presentations and test I can’t sleep at night so when I get to school I’m really sleepy so I can’t focus on anything because I didn’t get sleep but I also get distracted a lot by birds or something the teacher said that would make me question.
    My mom says I’m lucky that I’m where I am because she wouldn’t hit me but she hits me and she threatened that she would chop my thumb off more than once and that’s the thing I’m scared of the most because people need there thumbs to do simple things so I want to run so that she won’t chop my thumbs off and I don’t want to get yelled at by the simplest things like handing in something a day late so I want to run away but I don’t want to do it alone and my friends look happy with there family so when one of my friends want to run with me I will go with them because I can’t take the yelling and I don’t think that my moms even gets me because she wants me to enjoy my childhood before I get old but how am I enjoying my life or child hood with her yelling at me and she’s making me do things that I don’t want to do like after school things but I don’t want to do that and yet she’s here telling me to enjoy my child hood.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

First of all, thank you very much for reaching out. It takes a lot of courage to speak up when you’re dealing with issues, and you should feel proud about that. You should also know that nobody, ever, deserves to feel bad like that because of their mom or for any other reason. It sounds like your mom isn’t very nice to you sometimes, and that is making you unhappy. We’re really sorry to hear that, but let’s see how we can help.

First, I know you said that you are very sad, and you mentioned suicide. If you ever feel like you want to commit suicide or hurt yourself, you can always call us or call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 and they can talk to you about how you feel. There are also ways to help you feel better. It sounds like you have really good friends you can talk to about this stuff – that’s awesome! You might also like talking to an adult you trust about your problems, like a teacher you like or your school counselor. They might also help you talk to a professional about your emotional health. You’re being so strong dealing with this stuff and we’d love to see you get extra support!

We also want to say that it’s never ok for a parent to threaten you. If you ever feel like your mom is going to hurt you, you can call 9-1-1 and they will intervene to keep you safe. You also have the option to talk to your state’s Child Protective Service. If you ask a teacher or counselor about that and tell them that your mom hits you, they can help. If you do that, the state will assign a caseworker to work with you and your mom to try to make your home as safe as possible.

It’s also important to make sure you’re staying ok on a day-to-day basis. We want to make sure that you can cope. You can think about activities you like to do, or places you like to go that make you feel better. Maybe you can do more of those things. It sounds like you have really good friends who you can talk to about this, which is great. You’re being so tough!

When it comes to running away, the most important thing is that you stay safe. So if you do run away, it’s important that you’re with people who you trust, have food and shelter, and can still go to school. If you want to talk more about running away and make a plan, we’d love if you could talk to us again. You can either post again here, message us online at 1800runaway.org, or call us at 1-800-786-2929.

Good luck and hope we talk again soon!
      -NRS

• I’m a disappointment to my mom and she judges me and gets pissed at only me . She has left the house because of me . I have a lot going on since my dad committed Suicide and I have forgotten who I am and boy stuff. This isn’t how I wanted to word it but I feel like my mom gives me a way to look at things and do things and I don’t get my own opinion. I feel like I’m going insane. I barely talk to her and if I do we are fighting . I have to live up to my perfect sister and I am the opposite, I’m “scandalous “ or bad child . I want to take a leap of absents from home and stay with a friend. I feel like I’m just another version of my dad who had some tough stuff and he and my mom didn’t get along. I also get angry a lot .

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS!

Having to live with someone who eats all the food but does not even attempt to contribute to the household must be really frustrating. It sounds like even though you want to be supportive of your mom, your step-dad has been creating a really negative environment for you and your mom at home. Talking to your mom about how you feel and letting her know that you want the best for her could help open up communication about your home life. We recognize that having these types of conversations with parents can be really difficult, so we offer a conference call service. During a conference call we can talk to your mom together to ensure a productive conversation where your voice is heard. Family counseling can also be a great option to make talking to your mom about your situation at home a little easier. If this was something you wanted to try, we encourage you to contact the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) at 1-877-726-4727 to find a local resource.

We are here 24/7 by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or chat at 1800runaway.org if you want to talk more about how you have been feeling at home or explore other options.

Best,

NRS

• Hi am 12 years old I want to run away but sometimes I feel like I can't its like something holding me back

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• I'm 12, I want to run away.
    I simply want to go because I CANT
    deal with my mom yelling at me every day. And I admit this year I've been a pretty difficult child and I feel sorry. But I want to go because of the adventure. I'm leaving in a couple of days actually, but I just want to have a taste of adventure. I understand how my
    friends and family will feel if I do this, but I cant help it...

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• I’m 13 and 20 min ago I got told by my mom that she wishes that I wasn’t born and I stared to cry and she’s been doing this a lot and ********

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. That sounds so hurtful that your mom said that to you. Sounds like this has been going on for awhile and has understandably taken a major toll on you. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon. You might have some options for addressing the issues at home or living elsewhere depending on your situation.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS

• Hi, I am a 12 year old girl and i want to run away! I have problems at home like, my parents hurt me when I have a bad grade in school or their taking their anger out on me. I've thought of running away many times but i don't want to leave my parents and family behind. Im a military child which means i have a rough time making friends. At school people HATE ME. I have thought to end my life but i dont want to do it now. I need help NRS!

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension - it's not right of your parents to take their anger out on you. It can be rough to have to so frequently have to change schools, it makes sense that making new friends can be difficult. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

You mentioned some things about your parents hurting you that raises concern for your safety and well-being. Absolutely no one deserves to be abused. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

You said that you have thought to end your life before; we care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

• hi im 17 i need to get away cause people keep making lies about me and and emotionally abuse me and im severely depressed and have very bad anxiety and it's gotten worse since my grandma died in october 2018 and i cant stay here. and it feels like nobody cares

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
      Be safe,
      NRS

• I’m 11 and I want to either commit suicide, or run away. I’m already somehow failing in school. My mother keeps telling me I need to see someone. But nobody understands me. I know I’m different from other kids.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, and thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline.
      What you're going through definitely sounds like it is very difficult, to feel like you are different from everyone else, and that no one understands you. We should all feel like we can be accepted for who we are. Sometimes talking to someone about those feelings is a great way to help them understand you and what you are going through.Your school my be a great place to start and may have some resource options. There is also the National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255 if you felt like you didn’t want to talk to someone in person. You can always reach us here at NRS 24/7 at 1800runaway.org or 1-800-RUNAWAY. We would be happy to talk with you and listen.

• I am 11 and I want to run away
    I have severe depression and anxiety. My parents are actually nice people but they never give me a chance to explain myself when I do something wrong
    im stressed at school and I don’t have many friends because my friends are d****
    my parents also pry in my personal life. They look through my diary and screen record my text messages and it sucks. I get that they are my parents but I don’t feel comfortable anymore and they look through my search history on safari and it stresses me out. I like to watch funny videos on YouTube that are totally kid friendly but my parents BANNED YouTube from my house. I watch YouTube to help with my stress because I don’t go to therapy any more, and my parents will just ground me if they find out I’ve been watching stuff on YouTube

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. Sounds like thinks at home have really been talking a toll on you, and you haven't been able to see your therapist or watch the Youtube videos to help with your depression and anxiety. That cannot be easy to deal with. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you haven't already, you might try to talk to your parents about how you feel loosing the support of your therapist and youtube videos. Maybe they can help re-enroll you in therapy, or maybe there could be room for compromise with them allowing you to watch certain videos that could help with your mental health. If you would like help with that difficult conversation please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you would like to have a conference call with us and a parent. We can help mediate a conversation between you all about how you all are feeling and what your needs are. We can also talk through your situation with you and help you brainstorm your options, and we are here for support if you just need to talk.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org.

Be safe,

NRS

• I feel unloved and feels like no one cares about me and don’t love me but pretend that they do some days my mom would say nice things and pretend to love me but most days she would say threatening stuff and she doesn’t feel guilty saying the stuff like if you don’t swallow that food I will smack your mouth until it bleeds it would make me mad,annoyed,and mostly cry because life is so hard for me it just has to be I’m going through a lot at just an age we’re I’m starting to lose everything I love and the ones that I’d loved forever even if I haven’t gotten the chance to meet my loved ones that were there for me through and rough I’m only 11 12 next year. if any of you have any advice please share with me I really would appreciate it thx.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-30-2019, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      Super Moderator
      • May 2007

Reply: I feel unloved

Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You don’t deserve to be threatened or made to feel unloved. It’s not your fault that your mother is behaving this way.
      We are sorry that things are not going well between you and her. It seems like it’s been pretty hard for you. Some times when things are not going right it can be difficult to know where to turn for help.
      You did a good job by reaching out to NRS. We are here to listen and here to help. We can explore options with you like counseling or other people you might trust that you can turn to for support.
      Your feelings matter and there are times when having someone to listen might help.

If you would like to talk more about your situation, please contact NRS at: 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org (Live chat).

Take care,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I'm 12 and want to leave but I don't have much of a place to stay I just feel stressed out nothing is bad around the house though I just want to get out

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It is understandable that you may want to run away because of feeling stress, please know that your safety is the most important thing.

You mentioned that nothing is bad around the house which is very good to hear. You do not say where your stress source is coming from. Maybe you don’t even know but you just feel anxious. You may want to try to get some counseling. Just talking to someone else can really relieves stress. Have you tried to speak to a counselor at your school? You could reach out to us on the phone at National Runaway Safeline at 1-800-RUNNAWAY. We have additional resources we could talk to about more specifically.

Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to reach out and just say that you feel stress. If you would like to talk further we are here to listen, here to help 24/7. Our website is 1800RUNAWAY.ORG if you feel better with a live chat.

• I am 12 years old and my parents are very strict about my schoolwork, and I've been trying, but sometimes I forget and we are going to Colorado and I'm not allowed to have my phone, or tablet there! My cousin and I always play this one game together the whole time and now I'm going to be left out because of it! Also, my sister is a pain! She's always telling on me and hitting me. I thought about running away a while go, but I chickened out on it, but now I'm sure i want to run away tonight when my parents are asleep. I have all the things I need, but idk where to go. Im thinking of just sleeping outside, its going to be bad, but its better than living a life of pressure, and punishment for something I don't like. Im sending this right now because my parents aren't here. I am starting to feel some stages of depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts, or I've been thinking of cutting myself, but I don't know what to do. Its not a very complicated reason, but if you knew how much i cry a day. Its not a good life for me. And since my best friend died, I cant ever stop thinking about her, and it makes me just want to kill myself.

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello, and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services and are available by phone 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or chat (www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org).

Another resource to check out is To Write Love on Her Arms (www.twloha.org). It is an organization who is “dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury, and suicide.”

You also mentioned planning on running away tonight. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

You being in a safe place is our utmost concern. If you'd like to talk in more detail about your situation (including potentially safe places to go to tonight) or have any questions please call 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us (www.1800RUNAWAY.org) as we can best help by phone or chat. Best, NRS
      Working...
      X