This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi my name is katelyn and I'm 14 and my brother is 13
    we want to run away together because life at home is miserable we both can't stand my mom! She is verbally abusive towards us! I've tryed telling cps but they think WE are the problem! We have everything planned out and we want to leave Wednesday,March 27.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. Please know if you are being verbally abused you can reach out to CPS for help. One thing we recommend is having evidence like a recording or text to prove what you are saying that way they can help. Often times verbal abuse is hard to pin and needs more real evidence.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• Hi I'm 12

I'm want to run away because I'm very stressed and I have a LOT of anxiety and I have very bad family issue that makes me want to run away. I get told but my siblings that no one wants u here, just leave,your adoptedMy mom and dad aren't like any other parents they give me anxiety and depression and so much more. I always lock my self in the bathroom and cry and think about what is going on in my life and I also think about running away. I have sooo much things to say in such a little time.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• I am 12 and I ran away from home but was found 3 days later and I want to leave. Once again. But outta country I want to run away because I need to space myself from everyone and everything I have a bag packed. And 3 letters telling them my reason and I think I am tomorrow. After school
    I am going through a lot right. Now I currently .have 3 social. Workers on my case because .My dad would hit me I am currently ​​​​​​having to go to court and take help classes but I need space from everyone and everything.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-26-2019, 01:36 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      Super Moderator
      • May 2007

Reply: I am 12 and I ran away

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you are frustrated and thinking about running away. We understand. You don’t deserve to be abused by anyone.
      It is not your fault that you are in this situation. Reaching out to NRS was a good idea.
      Running away is a big step and there are questions about being able to survive on your own. NRS is here to listen and here to help.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• What is life can I run away!

Lately my mom has been overprotective yelling a lot and making me shake! (she has bad anxiety but doesn’t know) Myparents have issues with each other and it’s weird my mom yells at me for not listening and being on video games too much. We just got two puppies so that’s making her stressed out even more I want to do is hide in my room! My parents yell at each other and then they take it out of me and my brother I just want to kick and scream and swear but I can’t life is a terror movie every day and I want to running away I was looking out the window just now crying and my mom literally read my mind! It’s spring break and I’m home with her all day I’m imagine what summer break will be like! I am in 11-year-old girl my brother is six he loves videogames

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,
          Sorry to hear things at home are so stressful with your parents arguing and the stress your mom is having.
          It sounds like there’s a lot and being home all day on Spring Break is making it worse. Have you thought about talking to someone about all the stress that you’re having. Someone like a school teacher or the school nurse might be able to help you have a conversation with your parents about what’s going on at home. Another option might be talking to another relative that lives nearby, like an aunt, uncle or grandparent. Maybe they can also help you talk to your mom about what she and your dad are doing that are making you anxious.

If you have any more questions, you can call us at our hotline. We’re open 24x7 and our phone number is 1-800-RUNAWAY.
          Best of luck!

• Hi, I'm a 12yr old female and my name is Kassandra.

I've been reading everyone's dangerous situations for a week now. I came to the conclusion that almost everyone here has it WAY worse than I. It makes me feel like I'm just an ungrateful kid that everyone talks about.. It took a lot of courage for me to finally open up about my problems, especially online. I'm typing this from my school chromebook, so I'm very cautious because I think I might get in trouble. I'm taking some risks, but here I go. My problem is my dad. My dad.. is unlike most others. So where do I start?

I have three siblings, so there is four of us. My twin brother, my 5 year old little brother, and my 1 year old little sister. I'm sad because I know my dad doesn't love me or my twin, only the "knew and better version of us" (These "new versions" are my little brother and sister). I know my dad doesn't love me because he often refers to me and my twin as "Little sh*ts". It used to tear me apart, I once thought of cutting myself because of him, and I was close to it, too. It hurts to me so bad in my heart to know that the one who is supposed to love me, accept me, and support me doesn't give a crap about me or my twin! He would lead my mother on, only to knock her down to her feet crying, again. To this day she still wonders if she should give him another chance, (his 10,000th chance if you ask me). But now in the present, it doesn't get to me anymore.. at least I don't let it get to me. It doesn't bother me that my dad doesn't love me, because I don't love him. In the past, my dad would throw things at me and my twin. Like shoes,balls, hangers, balled up socks(Those hurt a lot), and more. I guess he's improving now, but he thinks that we are "playing games with him" and he thinks he is the "king of the world, Jesus reborn" and he wishes for awful stuff like tsunamis and tornados and earthquakes to happen to use to he can "test his power" he thinks he controls thw world and people are trying to kill him and turn his kids against him. He besicallly thinks he's living in a movie. But it affects his whole family.. please help me. This whole novel isn't even everything.. but thts all I have time for now. I kinda wanna grab my siblings and just... run. I don't really care where we go.. just anywhere from him. Please help.

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there Kassandra,
          Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we are here to help in any way that we can.
          You said that your dad calls you and your twin emotionally abusive names and has been physical with you. That must be very upsetting to have someone who is supposed to love and care for you do such horrible things. No child deserves to be abused. If you are interested in reporting this abuse to hopefully make a better situation for you and your brother, the National Child Abuse Hotline, Child Help, is a great resource. You can call them at 1-800-422-4453 or visit them online at childhelp.org. It can be hard to make this call on your own, so if you would like to file a report but do not want to do it alone, we are happy to call out with you. You can call us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), tell us a little bit about your situation, and then we can call Child Help together. If you ever find yourself in immediate danger, please call 911.
          You mentioned that your dad acts as though he is living in a movie and thinks that he is the “king of the world”. It is not easy to deal with a person who has an inflated sense of self. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) might be of help to you to offer resources on how to handle people who may be struggling with mental illness. Their website is www.nami.org, or you can call them at 1-800-950-NAMI, or text NAMI to 741741.
          You said that you used to think about harming yourself, but you no longer let him affect you like that. If you do ever experience feelings like that, you can text CONNECT to 741741, which is the Self-Harm Text Hotline. Self-injury Outreach & Support (SiOS) is another great resource, with many coping strategies as well as personal stories to read and help you feel not as alone. If you are ever experiencing suicidal thoughts, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255. If you ever find yourself in immediate danger, please call 911.
          It must be very hard to see your mother be built up and brought down again and again. Perhaps you can talk to her about what you have witnessed and how seeing this affects you. You might also be able to express how your father treats you and how you have experienced abuse. Sometimes these conversations can be difficult to have with a parent. If this is something you want to talk to your mom about but you want an added layer of support, we have a conference calling resource here at NRS. You would call in here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), talk to us about your situation, and then we could call out to your mom and connect the call. We would stay on the line to ensure that the conversation stays productive and compromise-driven.
          If you would like to talk through anything further or have any additional questions, feel free to give us a call here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are a 24/7, toll-free, completely confidential resource. Here to listen, here to help.
          Best of luck,
          NRS

• I'm 13 and I wanna run away from home. I am Asian, so naturally, I get too much expectation about what I need to do in my life. In terms of school, I am often forced to do things I wouldn't want too. At home, my mother screams at me almost every day, and my brother yells at me. Please help me NRS...

Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-29-2019, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• I don't want to be home anymore, I am 15 and been treated poorly at home. I have girlfriend that I cant even see. I've been going through a lot at home.. we had a son and he just died and I cant even see her or go to his funeral. It hurts a lot....
          Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-29-2019, 12:54 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
            Super Moderator
            • May 2007

Reply: I'm 13 and I wanna run away

Hello,

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
            NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• ccsmod4
              Super Moderator
              • May 2007

Reply:I don't want to be home anymore

Hello,

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We would like to be of assistance to you if we can. It is times like these that can be the toughest. You demonstrated not only courage but strength by reaching out today. During times like these it is important that you remember to exercise self- care. There are support groups that offer grief counseling.
              To find support in your area you might contact SAMHSA at 1-877-726-4727

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
              We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and how we might assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
              NRS

Comment

• Thank you NRS.. this helped a lot.

-Kassandra

Comment

• ccsmod5
                  ccsmod5 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are so welcome, Kassandra! Please feel free to reach out if you need additional resources or if you need help thinking through options. Sincerely,

NRS

• Hi I'm 13 and thinking of running away. My reason is I have depression and I hate this and I'm so done I am constantly thinking of killing myself. I really don't know where I would go though and I don't want to do this alone. I also want to continue going to school though and make money. Can you please help?

Comment

• ccsmod1
                  ccsmod1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. You mentioned that you have previously had thoughts of suicide and have self-harmed in the past. We care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. These kinds of feelings can be overwhelming and you do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
                  NRS

• Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                I'm 11 and I want to run away

Hi! Your are not alone trust me I don't have problems at home but I have really bad anxiety and when I go to school I get picked on by year 8 and i just want to run away and escape with somebody my age if you want we can run away together I'll give u my social media acc so we can contact and obviously by voice and video so you know I am actually a real girl :/
                I’m 11too and I want to run away my family don’t like me

Comment

• ccsmod2
                  ccsmod2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We are glad you are reaching out to us because we are here to help. While we don’t know the details of your situation, we want you to know that you are not alone.

In your message you mentioned that you are 11 and want to run away. We aren’t legal experts, but we can let you know that running away isn’t illegal, but is considered a status offense. That means that your family could involve the police and file a runaway report. Because of your age, the police may escalate the situation from a runaway report to a missing persons, but it depends on how the local police choose to handle in this situation. If you were to leave, where are you thinking of going?

You also mentioned that you feel like your family doesn’t like you. What makes you feel this way? If you wanted to talk about what you’re feeling, our number at 1-800-786-2929 is available 24/7 and is confidential. We have people who are here to support you in your time of need.

As we mentioned, we are here to help but we are also here to listen. If you wanted to talk about any of the options or information we shared before or just want to speak with someone about what is going on, please feel free to call at any time.

Best of luck!

• I am 11.

I have had constant thoughts of running away. My parents(mainly my dad) are mentally abusive and occasionally hit me. He gives me threats like he will throw me off the deck or stab me or even shoot me. I just don't feel safe at home. I've told my school counselor about this but I don't know what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod9
                  ccsmod9 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi there,
                  Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
                  Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
                  If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
                  Be safe,
                  NRS

• I'm also twelve. I don't know if I'm being over dramatic.
                i also want to run away.
                Most days my mom says I look terrible. My sister takes my phone when I don't tell her what I'm drawing or who I'm texting. She yells at me almost everyday even though she's 3 years younger than me. Everyone yells a lot and it's really scary.

Comment

• ccsmod9
                  ccsmod9 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi there,
                  Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
                  While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
                  We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
                  If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
                  Be safe,
                  NRS
              Working...
              X