No announcement yet.

Dont know what to do

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dont know what to do

    My parents are split up and my dad seems to be really abusive. He sometimes hits me and hes tried to break down my door. Im scared of him. Its been awhile since he's done anything but im still scared he'lll do something. What should I do?

  • #2
    Re: Dont know what to do

    Thank you for reaching out to us during your stressful time. We are sorry to hear that your dad has become violent with you. Everyone deserves to live in a safe environment and we are sorry that you do not have that right now.

    How long ago did your parents split up? It must be difficult to have your parents living separately from each other and having to choose which one to remain with.

    You said that your dad seems to be really abusive by hitting you and attempting to break down your door. Do you know why he tried to do those things? Have you ever talked to him about it? It can be scary to try and live with someone who has tried to hurt you in the past. Did his abusive behaviors start after your parents split up?

    What is your relationship like with your mom? Have you ever talked to her about what your dad has done before? Is it an option to try and go live with her?

    Is there anyone else you feel that you can trust to talk to them about what is going on? Have you ever tried talking to anyone before (a school counselor, another adult, a friend or other family members)?

    One thing that you can try is calling Child Protective Services (CPS). Their purpose is to help you feel safe and comfortable at home. Have you ever called them before to make a report? If so, what happened? If you do not feel comfortable calling them yourself, we here at NRS can help you file a report.

    You can also try Justice for Children; they are an agency that helps abused children with advocacy. They can help you come up with a plan to remain safe. They have a website ( and a hotline number (1-800-733-0059). They are available from 8:00 AM-5:00 PM.

    A similar agency is called Childhelp USA. They are crisis counselors who can answer any questions you have about abuse and how to file a report. Their website is and their 24 hour hotline number is 1-800-422-4453.

    You can also call us here at NRS. We are a 24 hour, 7 days a week crisis hotline. We can also help you to discuss your options or to help you file a report if you would like to. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY or our website is We look forward to hearing from you and good luck!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove