Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emotional abuse..but not.

I live with my great grandparents, and im getting sick of it. My grandma, she gives me no personal space, doesn't trust me, nags all the time, drives me insane,inconsiderate, disrespectful, wants me to do everything while she laze around, always thinks she's right, hardheaded, tease me about my insecuritys, and make my life completely horrible at home. They ground me for offending them, crying, yelling, showing facial expressions, not doing everything her way when she wants it..my grandma is no worse! I'm completely frustrated, they treat me like I'm a slave yet say they spoil me and think that just because I was in a physical abuse house before they are better.. They think they rasied me well, when I have been independent or trying to be. They always tell me I'm eating to much sweets and I'll get fat. I weigh 112lb since I last checked, I'm 14.

re: Emotional abuse..but not.

Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you’re feeling extremely frustrated living with your grandparents right now. It’s completely normal to want some space, especially if you feel like you’re constantly being criticized and disrespected. You deserve to feel comfortable living at home.

It sounds like you may have already tried this solution in the past, but you might find it helpful to sit down with your grandparents sometime when everybody is in a good mood to let them know how you’re feeling. Trying to keep the conversation calm, listening to their side of the issue, and focusing on areas where everybody can compromise may make the conversation productive. If you’re not comfortable talking to your grandparents alone, maybe you can ask a trusted adult to be in the room with you.

We’re wondering if there are times when you feel like things are good living with your grandparents. If you have hobbies—like playing a sport, drawing, or reading—that allow you to enjoy your time at home without your grandparents being present, it might be worthwhile to think how you can spend more time with those activities. Perhaps there is an after school club or community organization that you can join to give you more time away from home doing something you like.

Finally, if you feel like your living situation is becoming unbearable, you might find it helpful to speak to a school counselor or therapist about what’s going on. They are trained to help people who find themselves in difficult or stressful situations, and might be able to give you some good ideas about how things can improve at home. If your grandparents are willing, there are also family counseling services to help everybody at home work through these kinds of problems. We’re happy to look for resources in your area if you’re interested. You can call us any time, 24/7, at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Our chat services are also available every day from 4:30 to 11:30 p.m. CST.

We really hope that things improve at home. It’s never easy staying somewhere if you feel like you’re constantly under pressure. Please reach out if there’s anything else we can help you with.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X