Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!!

I'm turning 14 in less than 20 days and I have been planning on running away. I live in Washington state and I think I may go to Oregon or Texas but if I'm gone for longer than a year I may go to Cali. my home situation has me very unstable because I'm being put under pressure to be a star student and I'm out of the closet for being transgender and even though most of my family knows and ""accepts"" they dont respect my wishes to transition. i feel like this enviorment in emotionally abusive and I have been self harming for over a year and I smoke weed and drink alcohol too and I just want to be okay and I feel like if I leave (I have a friend who is also coming with me) I will finally have the freedom I will never receive in my home but I'm scared of being put in jail and whatnot. I dont know if I will be able to check myself into a homeless shelter or be able to roam around without being caught? help!

re: Help!!

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have been through a lot since your family is putting so much pressure on you to be a star student. We’re sorry that you are having to go through that at home. If you someone to talk or vent to, you can always contact the GLBT national hotline at 1-800-246-7743 or the Trevor hotline at 1-866-488-7386 or www.thetrevorproject.org.

We aren't legal experts here but in general, most states considered 14 to be a minor. Usually, if a runaway report is made, a youth would be taken back to their legal guardian if they come in contact with the police. That also varies from state to state. Sometimes the police would actively look for you, some places it depends if you come in contact with them. The local police non-emergency number is a good place to call if you have specific questions about what will happen if you leave.

You may want to look further into how you would be surviving on your own if you left. You mentioned having a friend coming with you, and we are glad to hear you have someone else available that you can trust. Most shelters for youth can only let you stay there for a small amount of time, before they have to notify your parents where you are. That is also up to the shelter’s specific guidelines. It may also be good idea to have a backup plan in case you are out with no place to stay.

There are lot of things to think about with running away, so that’s understandable if you have some questions. If you need to, you can always contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We can talk about any possible options that you are thinking about. Lastly, please note that we offer a live chat via our website at www.1800runaway.org every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST.

Take care and stay safe,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X