No announcement yet.

Parent Problems

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Parent Problems

    Hi I am 16, my problem is that my dad can be verbally abusive and my mom can be passive aggressive. I want to move in with my friend when I am 17 in February so I can escape, is there any way I can do this legally and safely?

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us at the national Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about what has been going on and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. We are not legal experts but generally speaking, if you leave while still 17, your parents could file a runaway report and you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for your friend or whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. If you need help finding this number or you want to walk through any other options, such as emancipation and legal aid numbers or identifying people you can trust that could possibly advocate for you to your parents, with a liner, we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).


    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif