Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Away Plans + Possible Consequences?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Away Plans + Possible Consequences?

Hi! I'm 14 (will be 15 next month) and I'm having a lot of issues with my family, to the point where I'm strongly considering running away until I'm of legal age (or qualify for emancipation, which doesn't seem like a realistic option for me.) The problem is, that will be a few years and I don't know if I'd last that long homeless without being caught as a runaway teen. My house is filled with yelling, unfairness, negativity, and cruel comments towards me, and it has been for years now. I convinced my mother to take me and her to a therapist last year and we've been going weekly (sometimes my father joins in too) since then and there has been no progress, only regression. They are very controlling over everything (what I eat, how I style my hair, etc.) I feel trapped and hopeless and I'm constantly in a state of stress and sadness. My own mother told me she doesn't want me anymore.

(post has been edited)

re: Running Away Plans + Possible Consequences?

Hi, thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Sideline. From what you shared with us, it seems that things at home have become unbearably difficult that you are considering running away. You certainly don’t deserve to be exposed to negativity and to have others think poorly of you and then subject you to those opinions. You deserve to feel safe and supported at home. We want you to know that we are here to listen and to help to the best of our ability. It is great that you are asking questions before you take any next steps to make sure you are making the best informed decision.

You mentioned that you have tried talking to your parents about what is going on at home. Would you be open to explore this option again? Here at NRS, we offer a conference calling service where you would be able to initiate a conversation between you and your parents to try and talk about what is going on at home and see if there is a way that a compromise could be met, such as re-exploring the idea of moving with other family members. We could help mediate that conversation. Sometimes just being able to talk can be a way to open up the lines of communication and see the best way that everyone can compromise. If this is something that you might want to look into, please feel free to reach out to us at our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

It seems that some of your relatives are being very supportive by offering you a safe place to stay, which is an option that you could explore with your parent’s permission. Although we aren’t legal experts, we can speak generally about your situation. Generally, if you are under the age of majority and leave home without permission, your parents have the right to file a runaway report with the police, at which point police may begin looking for you, may return you back if found and may potentially charge anyone you stayed with under the harboring laws.

Running away from home can be a difficult process because there are so many factors to consider. Regardless of the decision you wish to make, we want you be safe. We want you to know that you do have options. We’re sorry that you had to endure this difficult experience at home. If you would like to talk further about your situation and explore more safe options, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. You can reach us at our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our live chat service is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST and could be accessed through our website, http://www.1800runaway.org/. We wish you the best of luck and look forward to your call or chat. We hope you stay safe in any decision you make.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X