Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

im 14 and both of my parents are emotionally abusive. I am suicidal and I wanted to know if there is a law or right that says if a teenager is suicidal then they can move out and live with family without parents consent?

Re: help

Hi, and thanks for your post.

If your parents are emotionally abusive, you’re in a really tough situation – so we’re glad you reached out.

That’s great that you feel like you have support from other family outside your home. The laws change from state to state, but typically, if you are a minor you normally need your parents’ or legal guardian’s consent to go live with another family member. However, if there’s abuse – as in your case – Child Protective Services may intervene to remove you from their custody temporarily, and place you somewhere else where you can be safe. Again, since it varies by state, we would need to have more information. Also, we’re not legal experts; but can certainly provide referrals for legal assistance as needed.

In general, the custody issue is independent of you being suicidal… Are you under care, do you have someone that you can contact when suicidal thoughts come? If you aren’t seeing a counselor already, we would be happy to refer you to a local counseling center in your area. Let us give you a number of a suicide hotline, to have handy just in case you need it: 1-800-273-TALK.

We are here for you also. Please call 1-800-RUNAWAY if you want us to help you call Child Protective Services, and support you as you make the abuse report; or reach out if you need referrals for legal services or for counseling… In the meantime, be strong!

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X