Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm at the end of my rope, parents don't give a s***

I am struggling with depression. It is a daily fight to get my mind focused on freakin anything. It started last January, I mean, there were events before that that really sucked too. Halfway through my junior year at my college prep high school, my parent's decided suddenly to take a job in Utah. Just because my dad couldn't go any higher at his current job, within a month we moved states. I had to stay in a hotel with my grandma and my dog for two weeks while everyone moved in, three days after we all get settled in our new house, my grandma died on my 17th birthday. About a week later my parents made a snap decision one day that my dog was too old, and might pee on the carpet so they took her to the vet and put her down. Eventually I left to go to college where my sister was already attending. I started sinking into depression, so far that I became very suicidal. I called my sister all the time because I was scared and didn't know what was happening. She mostly ignored me in favor of her boyfriend who she is now married to. Yay. I got really low and was checked into the hospital for two weeks. Since then I have gone to counseling, taken meds, exercise, tried to get into hobbies, and it is only helped somewhat. My parents don't ask how I am, if I am okay, or mention anything about it. Actually my mom loads me down with her issues at work and with my dad. Not exactly helpful.

My two younger brothers suck. Failed classes, absolute lazy slobs, use my toothbrush, eat my food (labelled, hidden, doesn't matter), and just don't help. I took it upon myself to make chore charts, reward/punishment systems, lay out ground rules, blah blah blah. It is exhausting, because they don't care, won't listen, and now my parents just say, "go ask Myname if it's ok". I'M NOT THE PARENT! THEY NEED TO PARENT! I feel so worthless and tired. They don't care about me, if they did they would treat my brothers and I the same. Or even my married sister. They gave her money for no reason, just because, while I have been asking for clothes money for what seems like forever. I just want to feel like they see me as a priority. My whole life I have been passed over because I behaved well, so I didn't need attention or whatever interference. I am so tired and feel so alone. What do I do

re: I'm at the end of my rope, parents don't give a s***

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS to help with your situation. It appears you have had a lot going on in your life and it does not seem to be getting any easier for you. You’re a very strong person for having gone through the rough times of moving, losing your grandmother, losing your dog, and your family treating you as though you aren’t a priority. You have taken it upon yourself to seek help in many ways, including counseling and reaching out to NRS. Not feeling heard or seen as a priority in your family appears to be pretty hard on you. Is there anyone, other than your counselor or family, that you trust to reach out that would make you feel more appreciated or valued? Sometimes if we cant get what we are needing from people in our lives we can fulfill it other ways. You are doing a great job of keeping your head up and helping yourself the best you can. We encourage you to keep doing these great things, but when you need to talk about issues such as these please feel free to reach out to NRS. You can also contact the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.
    We are open 24/7 and are completely confidential. We look forward to hearing how things are going.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X