•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod9
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe and stay strong,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i am only 13 & i don’t feel happy, accepted & comfortable in my house. i feel happier with people who live around 2 hours away (by car) as i’m accepted in their family & i have friends there where as here i am lonely. i’ve thought of running away many times & thought about putting myself into hospital so i’m away from my home & school for a while. i really don’t know what to do & my age makes it very difficult to get a situation sorted. my mental health is very bad here & recently, i’ve wanted to kill myself because i don’t know how to deal with the struggle of things. i feel like i can’t tell my parents as we’d have to sit down & have an adult conversation which i can’t do as all i can normally come out with this is ‘i don’t know’ & i know that frustrates them. my cousin has offered me some sanctuary but i don’t know where she lives & i know i couldn’t live there forever because i’ve still got school & i know it’s far away. it’s a complicated case i know but even a sliver of advice could keep my hopes up.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    I’m so sorry that you are going through that. It sounds like a very hard and painful situation.

Just fyi, we our not legal experts. Our understanding is that if your daughter is under 18, she is still under guardianship, but, that a guardian can approve of a living arrangement elsewhere. So, if you approve of where she is living, then there is nothing further that you need to do. This is actually something families who reach out to us do all the time. It does seem smart to stay in contact with the family she’s staying with, and to have ways to check in and make sure that she’s safe and doing ok like you described.

It sounds like it’s too painful now, but perhaps after some time passes, you could think about finding some ways to keep the lines of communication open with your daughter. Perhaps, if talking face to face is too hard, for example, you could try just communicating through e-mail. Maybe something like that would help give you both the space you need. We also have a database of free and sliding scale resources, including for family counseling. If you think that might help, feel free to give us a call.

This is a hard thing you’re facing. Think, too, about your own support network. It can be super helpful to have people you can vent to, and talk to about things like this. It’s ok to reach out to people you trust to get that support, and it makes sense that someone in your situation would.

We hope this info and some of these ideas are helpful.

Guest replied
    My daughter has moved out i have tryed many different ways to change the situation on makeing things rite but its come to the point were i cant take no more so she has moved into a freinds house i dont want contact with her at all as it hurts to much seeing her so i havent had any contact at all i no shes ok tho as family member keep me updated as therw makeing sure shes ok she seems more happyier at her freibds home i just need to no what i have to do now to sign her over thanks

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there,

Seems like you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services. Please do not hesitate to reach back out if you need anything else.

Best of luck,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi. Im 16 And I want to go live with my friend. She’s 19 and lives with roommates but my family keeps telling me Than I need to come back home, and i need to be in school. They said that my grandma could call Dcf on me if I stay with my friend and I would have to go live with her

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there, thanks for contacting NRS!

It sounds like you are thinking about leaving home to live with your friend, but you do not want your parents to find out. It can be incredibly difficult to leave home before the age of 18 without consent or cooperation from your parents. We are not legal experts, but we can share some general information.

If you leave home without permission from your parents, then they can file a runaway report. Running away is not illegal, and you would not be arrested. It means that if police know where you are then they would most likely return you home. In some cases when the young person who leaves homes is close to turning 18 then the police do not always force them back home. Your local police department will have more information on how they handle runaway reports. You can contact their non-emergency number to ask questions anonymously about your situation. If you do get your parents permission to leave home then there would not necessarily be any police intervention.

We can best be of help phone or chat and we are available 24/7. You can reach us at 1-800-786-2929 or 1800runaway.org (chat button) if you would like to talk more about your situation and explore options.

We are looking forward to hearing from you,
    NRS

Guest replied
    is it possible for me to live with my friend with out my parents getting involved

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for sharing a little bit about what's been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It sounds like there's a lot going on at home - it must be really stressful. You mentioned that you and your mom have gotten physical before and this raises some concern. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

It seems like you and your mom have some issues communicating your thoughts and feelings to one another. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your mom so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi i am 14 years old going on 15 on aug 17 so i want to live with my one of my family member but the problem is most of them cant take me due to less room. The reason why i want to live with them because i feel like i do everything wrong i admit i do have some issues like i have destroy electornics windows put holes in walls. But i do a lot in my household and me and my older sister fight alot and my mom.is tried of it like it gets physical to.the point where my moms has to pull us apart. This all started when my dad died a few years back which took a huge imapct on my family like it effected all of us mostly my mom but for me too. So it been hard because my dad waa the head of the house made sure everything waa organize and in order. But it been so hard because i have an autism sister which is trouble because she does so many messes and me and my sister have to watch. I feel like i am a servant i get tried of watching her because i never pay attentions to my autism sister like i try to watch her but she dosent listen or pay attentions to my family but she is enroll in a school that can help her and she been improving. Another issue is my older sister sometimes starts with me like calls me idiot jerk all this and i have a very angry temper or known as anger management when someone pushes my buttons i get very angry or when somoene hits me. I known it not right but i just feel like everything i do is wrong and i cant take it anymore like watching my autism sister its too much for me and i get stressed. My mom tries her best and i love her but me and her can also get physical as well like sometimes we say mean stuff and cuss at either. And we also put hand on either like hit either i known it wrong and not right.

So any advice or consideration would be good

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It sounds like home is really stressful right now, it must be really frustrating to be in that situation. It's so great to hear that you and your step dad get along so well. We aren't legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your mom can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your mom.

It sounds like your mom isn’t listening to you when you are trying to express your thoughts and feelings about how her breakup affects you. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your mom so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, i don’t know how this app works i could be doing this wrong, but i am 15 years old. my father past away when i was 1, but my mom had someone in my life as a father figure at the age of 2 so he’s like my dad. but he never adopted me or anything so no records show. he is allowing me to stay with. him but my mom isn’t and i don’t want to stay with her anymore. it’s very frustrating living with her, after they broke up (2months ago) she has put so much on me, to much i can handle. and she’s not listening to anything i’m saying and i really just want to live with my step dad.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your family. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Guest replied
    hi,

i am 16 and i want to move in with my friends family to finish high school.

i currently live with my mom and step dad, and their two spoiled little kids. after my parents divorce, somehow i ended up with my mom. i have always hated living with her because she leaves town all the time and doesn’t tell me usually until the night before. the only thing she actually provides for me is a roof over my head and she pays for my education. she is never even around the house, and i have my own job, so im pretty much on my own most of the time. i get my own food, i work, i drive my car to school and to lacrosse practices and games, and she is never involved in any of those things at all. she doesn’t even know what’s going on in my life at all or my schedule, so i have basically been doing my own thing since i was 13 or 14, but i became almost completely independent from her when i turned 16. aside from the legal stuff.

it is now the beginning of july, but at the very end of march my mom dropped this huge bomb on me that i was going to be moving with her to tennessee for the rest of high school. it is kind of a given that i don’t exactly want to just up and leave this life that i have built for myself. i play for varsity lacrosse at my school already, i have good friends, an amazing boyfriend, a steady job, and my best friend’s family is more accepting of me than my own. i am going to be a junior this year, and i am not exactly looking to leave my whole life behind and have to start making new friends and adjusting to an entirely new setting while trying to manage the SAT/ACT and junior year altogether.

my best friend’s family has agreed to take me in if i can just sort the legal stuff out with my parents, but i was wondering how that’s possible? like what exactly would i need from my parents to make this happen?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. Wow it sounds like you are going through an extremely difficult situation. We just want you to know that you are not alone.
    We want you to know that you are valuable and that you are worth living. It may seem like it is incredibly difficult to go through but this will not last forever. You may want to consider contacting The National Suicide Prevention Hotline at: 1800-273-8255. There is always someone willing to listen to your story and be able to provide support. Please stay strong you got this!
    It sounds like you may be going through emotional abuse, if you would like to make a report you can contact The Child Helpline at: 1800-422-4453. Just know the things your parents say about you is not about you it’s on them. You also may want to consider talking to a therapist about what is going on. You can also contact NAMI (national alliance for mental illnesses). You can contact NAMI at 1800-950-NAMI.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X