• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Umm hi well my friend

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It’s very nice of you and your family to want and help out your friend. We are not legal experts so it’s not possible for us to give you legal advice. Since your friend was kicked out of her home by her parent’s she might consider contacting the police or child protective services for assistance. For help contact Child Help USA 422-4453.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Umm hi well my friend got kicked out and well I offered her my help but the thing is she is only 16 and I mean I’m 16 but we live in different states and I have talked to my parents already asking them if she could stay and they have agreed but how could we legally help her, if we just pay for her ticket here would we legally get in trouble? My parents are from Mexico so I wouldn’t want them to get in trouble with the law so but I still want to help her because she is my best friend what can I do?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 04-05-2019, 02:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there, thank you so much for reaching out to NRS, we are here to help. You took a great first step by reaching out to us. It sounds like you are struggling to find a place to live safely where you can support yourself and have the freedom you desire, as well as basic necessities like running water, cell and internet service, etc. Although you have stated that you do not want to get the authorities involved, it’s worth mentioning that keeping a youth in school and providing a shelter with basic necessities like running water are a parent’s responsibilities, and your parents asking you to work instead of being in school and not provide you with proper shelter is considered neglect, which is abuse. One resource you may consider is Child Help, a national child abuse hotline that can help you learn a little more about this if you wish. The number for Child Help is 1-800-422-4453. Another thing you might be able to consider are Transitional Living Programs (TLPs), which are places that offer temporary housing for youth who need shelter. We can help you find some resources for TLPs local to you, but because this is a public forum we are unable to share specific resources here. If you would like to explore these resources more in depth, we are happy to do so via online chat or phone call. Feel free to reach us at any time, we are always hear to listen and to help!

Guest replied
    I'm fifteen. My mom and dad decided to move from my home town when I was 8. During the travels (cause went so many places) my sister and I switched from school to school. Eventually we ended up in Portland but it was too late to put us in school cause it'd already been six months. So instead of trying to get us back on school, she just said ******** it. She's didn't want to loose us to the authorities. But now I'm still at a third grade level cause even though we were pressured to tell everyone we were having schooled, I never got taught anything. My sister "dropped out" we moved from Portland and now we live in the middle of no where with no cell seryser or running water and we live off a generator in a tiny camper. I hate it there. I have a boyfriend In town cause we go to town every Wednesday Friday and weekends. But it's not enough. I want to do things on weekdays but she won't let me. So I ran away and my bfs dad talked to her and she's letting me move put in the summer but I can't handle going back there tonight. (I stayed spring break with my bf) it's traumatizing having to go back there. My mom thinks the world's gonna end and constantly puts that and her religion before literally everything. I ********ing hate it there. I have a job. I pay for my cloths and phone bill by myself and I am more then capable of buying my own food too. Also both my parents panhandle for a living and have for years. When I was younger I'd go out with them to help them. I just want away. But I have my little brother to think about now. He's happy there and being taught so I don't want to get the authorities involved. I also don't want to go into states custody. And my sister ran away when she was fifteen my mom let her go to our home town to visit but she ran away when she was there so my mom told her that if she came back her boyfriend could run away here. So he did. And she just turned 16 when they moved into a van together. Later on he ended up sexually abusing me for two years so I can't stay with her cause I hate him so what do I do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It sounds like you’re in a complicated situation and your dad is making things more stressful; that must be really stressful. Due to the fact that your father had previously OK’ed you living elsewhere it may be worthwhile to contact your local DCFS (Department of Child and Family Services) office for advice on choosing where you can live. If you’d like help finding your local office you can go to childhelp.org.

Generally speaking, if you do live somewhere without your father/guardian’s permission, he can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents/guardians. Once you turn 18 you will be considered a legal adult and can live where you please.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 17 in California looking for really good advice about my situation at home last year k ran away due to my father hitting me a lot and ran to my girlfriends house the parents then had issues with the husbands father who causes a lot of problems so they decided to move out also they have 7 kids and me altogether is 8 people plus parents Is 2 so we moved back to my fathers house altogether
    and he caused issues with them and complains a lot to them so they want to move out to and he told them I can't leave with them but last year when the cop came to the house he said as long as it was alright with my caregivers that I could live with them and they had a case number and everything and today my dad tells me that if I try and run away he will rid of my social papers and drop me out of school and k would be on the streets can anyone please tell me my California 17 year old rights to choose a family to live with and not suffer legal actions I looked it up online it says children within ages below 17 will suffer legal actions except 17-18 plz help me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hi,
    Sorry to that you’ve been feeling so sad and suicidal. That can be a really tough feeling to have. It’s hard to feel isolated or like the odd one out, but there are people there for you. It’s really painful to feel that way on the inside.
    There are a few different resources that are available that you could look into. One of them is called NAMI it is the National Alliance on Mental Illness. Their phone number is 800-950-NAMI. They also have a website that is www.nami.org.
    There is another resources that is called the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Their phone number is 800-273-8255 and their website is www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    Both of those resources can be very helpful when feeling down.
    If you wanted to discuss options that are available in your specific area as far as legal ones to discuss living with your other mom we’re here to listen and help. We can be reached at 800-RUNAWAY, or by chat.
    Best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 14 about to turn 15 in ten days I’m hurting at home contanlty feeling the odd one out and feeling like I have no one. I constantly feel suicidal but I have a second mom that’s not blood but I can go live with her!! Will the police let me? I want to run away because it’s not okay how I’m feeling and I just need to get my thoughts get together!! I don’t know what to do I’m hurting deep down inside and it’s making me feel like I’m ready to give up on life I want to be a runaway but I don’t wanna go to foster care I want to live with my second mommy!! Will they let me and what should I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that your aunt and uncle have been on your case so much and seem to be making you so miserable. It must be very frustrating to have them overstepping your boundaries. However, it is great that you have found support from your girlfriend and her family throughout these difficult times.

Moving in with your girlfriend and her family definitely could be a possibility. Typically, as long as you are considered a minor in the state you live in, your guardians get to determine where you live. That means that, if your aunt and uncle are your guardians, you would need to get permission from them in order to live somewhere else.

Simply moving out might be a difficult option to pursue, and it might be worth it for you to explore other options you have in case you are unable to convince your family or hers. If you would like to talk more about your situation and what other possibilities there are, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

Guest replied
    I'm 14 and I hate my family is live with my uncle and aunt and all they do is get on to me and yell at me and get on to me about my grades even tho I'm really trying and whenever I have friends over I get in trouble for the most stupidest things like if I have my girlfriend overy and I forget I'm not supposed to close the door but do close the door is get in trouble but I've been going over to my girlfriend's house lately for 5 months now and her family is so nice to me and it just feels like home there with her she is 13 tho but me and her have been talking about me moving in with her but we're both scared about what her family would say and what my family would say .

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation at home. We are sorry you are experiencing abuse, no one ever deserves to go through that. You do have the right to report the abuse to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. You can either do it yourself or call into us directly and we can support you through it. It is hard to say the result of reporting, but if you call in you can ask what the process might look like.

Also another way you can seek help is reaching out to a friend, teacher, or counselor at school that can help you look for resources. Your mental health is important. You can also look at SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) at samhsa.gov (call them directly at 1-877-726-4727) or NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness 1-800-950-NAMI to help you find the support that you need. If you do ever feel in direct danger, to yourself, or some else makes you feel that way, please call out to 911 or reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255).

Another thing that you can do is look into emancipation, where you can have the right of an adult. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process
    It can be difficult to know how to talk to your parents and express your feelings about how you are feeling. We would encourage you to reach out to a trusted adult, teacher, relative, and friend that you can talk to and potentially help you mediate a conversation with your parents about your current situation. At NRS, we do offer a service call conference calling, where you can call into our hotline and then we would reach out to your guardian and help advocate for you, help you express the needs you have to your parents.

We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.

-NRS

Guest replied
    hi. i am 15 and want to go live with my friends family. my friends family are letting me come stay with them and already have a bed for me. my parents are not very good people, especially my mother. for years they've been verbally and psychologically abusive (sometimes physically too). last night i actually left my house to go stay with my friends. my parents ended up calling the police and they came to get me at around midnight. they forced me to go back home because me parents did what they always do; they lied and said i was making it all up, making it seem like i was the bad person. they've been doing this kind of thing for years and i cant take it anymore. i do not feel safe in their homes and i am not emotionally stable enough to live there. what do i do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Thank you for writing in to the National Runaway Safeline’s online forum. No one deserves to feel unsafe in their home, and it sounds like your father is contributing to that. You are entitled to filing an abuse report with Department of Child and Family Services by calling your Statewide Reporting Hotline at 919 527 6340 or by finding your local county number at https://www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/soc...ocial-services.

The age of majority in North Carolina is 18, which means that at 15 years old then you have 3 years left of being considered a youth under the law. If you left home to stay with your friend’s family and your Dad filed a runaway report, your friend’s parents/guardians could be charged with harboring a minor. If your father did give his consent, however, you may be able to live with their family. We aren’t legal experts, so try reaching out to Legal Aid of North Carolina for additional assistance. You can find them online at www.legalaidnc.org or by calling their hotline at 1 866 219 LANC (5262).

Safe Place is a national youth outreach and prevention program for young people under the age of 18 (up to 21 years of age in some communities) in need of immediate help and safety. Visit them online at www.nationalsafeplace.org or text the word “Safe” and your current location to 4HELP (44357) for immediate help.

Remember that you can call us 24/7 at 1800 RUNAWAY and speak with a trained volunteer to discuss options and gain additional resources. Take care!

Guest replied
    Im 14 from North Carolina and at home its a nightmare my dad is mean to me and i have been grabbed by the neck by him before.I want to live with a friend, if they told me it was okay and i had their permission could i stay with my friend?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us your story. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time right now and we hope to be able to help you out. We want you to know that no one deserves to be abused, and you should not have to go through that. If you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the abuse you’ve been experiencing. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.

Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get charged with what is called “harboring,” if your parent’s didn’t give you permission to stay there. Rarely, the police will hold a youth in juvenile detention for 24 or 48 hours or until the legal guardian can pick them up. You could consider calling your local non-emergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 69866 the word “safe,” and your location (Ex: 69866ChicagoSafe) to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

It can be difficult to manage situations like this and you don’t have to do it alone One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, you said it’s hard for you to find the courage to speak to your mom about how you feel about your dad. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you and provide support. You’ve been very courageous to reach out for help and trying your best despite the circumstances. Standing up for not only yourself but your brother and mom shows great character. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.

Wish you the best
    -NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X