Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I'm 15 years old. I used to live with my grandmother and grandfather. I lived with them since i was just a little baby until i was 11, by the time i was 11 my grandfather forced me to live with my birth mother, i've been with her for 4 years now and i want to go back with my grandmother cause i consider her my mom and i miss her.. I learned that my birth mother does not have custody of me but the state knows that i live with her. my grandmother is the one that has custody but its only in this state and she's in phenix . could i just move or what do i have to do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello there,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.
    We’re so sorry to hear about how you’re being treated at home. It sounds really difficult to live with. It’s understandable that you’d be frustrated if you’re limited on what kinds of things you’re able to do. It sounds really frustrating.
    Since you posted on this thread, it sounds like you’re interested in leaving home to live with a friend. Typically you’d need your legal guardian’s permission for this or they could call the police to get you returned home. Sometimes your friend’s parents could get in trouble for letting you stay.
    It sounds like there’s a lot going on here. If you want, you could reach out to us directly if you’d like to talk about this in more detail. We’re confidential and available 24/7 here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Stay Strong,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Lately my parents are always getting after me for ever little thing I do . I can't go outside my house without them getiing after me . Honestly I don't see this as living. I don't want to live with my parents anymore . I want another family. A mom and a dad that will show me support and give me love. Please help me find another family , I can't hold the pain no longer

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hey,
    Thanks for writing in. It sounds like you’re going through an incredibly difficult time. Please know that you are not alone and that you don’t deserve to be abused emotionally or physically, no matter what you did. You deserve to feel respected and supported by your family and it’s not okay that they’re treating you this way.
    We’re not legal experts, but this situation may qualify as abuse. One option you have is to file an abuse report. You can do that a couple different ways: 1) you can call your local police and notify them; 2) you can let a teacher, guidance counselor, or someone else at school know what’s going on and they will make an abuse report; or 3) you can make that abuse report yourself by calling the National Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-422-4453. It can be helpful for your case if there are pictures of the marks from when your mom hurt you, and if someone else knows about what happened (like your mom’s friend) that might also be helpful.
    You mention that you’ve turned to self-harming again. Please know that you deserve to be supported through this. A resource that you may find helpful is To Write Love on Her Arms, twloha.com. Another resources you may find helpful is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255. Here at NRS, we’re also here to listen if you ever want to talk about what you’ve been going through. Another option you might consider is talking to a guidance counselor, friend, or a therapist. It can be helpful to get those feelings out, as it sounds like you’re feeling a lot of hurt right now.
    You mention wanting to leave home. Generally speaking, you need to be 18 to leave home without consent. If you do leave without permission, your family would have the right to file a runaway report. If the police are able to locate you, they may return you home. However, if you let them know that there’s abuse going on at home, they’re supposed to investigate that before returning you home. It sounds like your family might be open to letting you stay somewhere else, though, which may be a good option for you. You mention that you have other family members that are willing to take you in or that your mom’s friend would be willing. It might be helpful if they reached out to your family to invite you to stay for a while or more permanently.
    If you wanna talk more specifically about your situation or need help figuring out your options, please feel free to reach out to us 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929. Best of luck and we hope to hear from you.

Guest replied
    Hello, I am a 16 year old girl. Me and my family are not getting along at all, I was adopted at the age of 6 months old. I have gotten along with my family pretty well for the last couple of years, but lately I have done some really stupid stuff and neither my dad or mom (both adoptive parents) seem to try to help me, my mother has been verbally abusing me. I am trying my hardest to not let it hurt but I've gone to self harm again, she has been making me feel like I'm not worth it very much, I was being sarcastic once and said she should just make me a foster child. I didn't think she would say what she did, she said "find me the papers and I'll sign them myself". My father (adoptive parent) hasn't really been getting into me and my mothers (adoptive parent) arguments. My mother did abuse me, she has never abused me before and it was really scary. She said I didn't have any marks or bruises but I did, she left for a weekend and let me stay with her friend while she went away. I felt so much better but then she came back and accused her friend for going against her word saying I couldn't have my phone but she never told any of us I couldn't have my phone while she was gone. I need help, I don't what what to do. Please help me, I want to go live with a family member. I can't stay with my adoptive parents, the biggest fear I have is that I have to leave my dog behind. My dog is training to be my service dog, and I know my family members or my mothers friend would let me have her with me. I need some help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight. It sounds like you're in a pretty difficult situation right now. No one likes to be isolated from family members or made to feel bad. It's very unfortunate something like that is happening to you.

One thing you can do is try to contact your dad's family if that is something you're interested in. If you do not have any of their numbers you can always try looking them up on social media. Maybe talking to them can help you feel better or can give you some more support in your life. If you are really determined not to live with your mom you can even talk to one of them about getting custody of you.

It seems lie you're going through a lot of things emotionally. You could always talk to a friend, family member, adult, or even trusted teacher about how you are feeling. Sometimes it helps just to have someone to talk to about things and get all of that stress off your shoulders. If you have access, you could also consider seeing a therapist. They can help you deal with things that you are facing at the moment.

You mentioned rather killing yourself than living in your house. That is a really serious thing to say, and we want you to know that you are important and your life matters. If you're ever feeling that way again please know you can reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

You can also always call into our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help as much as we can. We wish you the best of luck with everything!

Guest replied
    I am only 14 and my real dad died when I was 6. My mom and him got divorced and his side of the family were terrible to my mom. She completely stopped contact between me and them without even asking or caring how I’d feel about it. I cry all the time, never have my phone to talk to anyone else about anything thing going on at home, and am always getting yelled at over every little thing. It’s getting to the point where i want to run away and go live anywhere other than here. I don’t feel wanted or loved at all. I’m counting down the days until I turn 18 and can move out. I get treated the worst out of all my siblings. My mom tries to make me feel bad for how I feel. She’s constantly reminding me about how much of a disappointment I am. My best friend always jokes about how I can live with her but it’s a lot more serious than anyone actually thinks. If she was serious I would take the chance as soon as possible. I don’t want to liv here anymore but I don’t really have an option. I’d rather kill myself than stay in a house where I feel like this. I have nobody and I don’t know what to do.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We are very sorry to hear about what you have been going through with your family. It sounds like you are very hardworking and mature . You are a minor, it is not your responsibility to take care of your mother. It is unfortunate that your dad will not let you stay with him.
    You mentioned that it would be easier to commit suicide, your life matters ! Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problems. Talking to someone about how you feel could help, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) is a great resource to discuss any suicidal thoughts. You could try asking your parents if they would let you stay with another family member or close friend. You could contact Child Protective Services and let them know that your mother is unfit to raise you. You may also want to consider looking into local transitional living programs. If you have any additional questions or just need to talk, please contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat. Good Luck !

Guest replied
    Hi I'm fifteen and have social anxiety and depression,
    The family member I live with (My mom) is bipolar (She won't go get help but she experiences extreme mood swings) For example In the beginning of the day she might tell me she loves me and misses me and when I get back home from school I get told that I am worthless. I have extreme trust issues because I cant even tell anymore if someone is going to yell at me. It hurts to breathe. The only light in my life is my sister who will be leaving for college and can't afford to take me with her. My dad left us because he couldn't take my mom anymore and he won't let me live with him saying it would break my mother's heart and that its my job to take care of her. I just can't take it anymore, my psychiatrist is trying to help me find other places to stay like a boarding school, but the cost is too expensive and my mother would never let me leave. It all just seems so much easier to commit suicide. My sister loves me though so I hang on for her, but she wont be in the house much longer.. What do I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are going through a lot at home and it is taking a major toll on you. Here at NRS, we truly want to support you through this difficult time.

That seems really frustrating that your guardian tells that they are ready for you to be gone, and then will not let you go when you try to leave. If you are 18 or older, you are typically considered a legal adult and can make your own life decisions including where you live without your guardian's permission. Unfortunately, if you are under 18 and you leave without permission your guardian can file a runaway report for you with local police and if you are found you typically would be returned home. If you are kicked out with nowhere to go, that could be considered neglect by Child Protective Services and you have the right to report it. If abuse or neglect is your situation you might reach out to expert child advocates at Child Help to explore your reporting options at 1-800-422-4453.

You mentioned wanting to move to your uncle's house. You might reach out to him and see if he is okay with you staying there, and if he would talk to your guardians for you about leaving home. The easiest way you can leave home before you turn 18 is with your guardian's permission, and sometimes having a trusted adult advocate for your needs could help convince your guardians that it is in your best interest to live with him.

Please call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation, or if you would like to share more details about how we can help specifically.

We truly wish you the best with everything,

NRS

Guest replied
    I want to get out of there house and move with my uncle in Florida they are lazy as ***** don't do ******** , she sit on the couch all day and talk ******** and want you to do stuff for her they constantly talking how they ready fur us to get out there house I can ***** wait when I try to she talking bout u ain't going no where but y'all just said y'all ready for us so pls ****** out of my face and let me leave
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 01-18-2018, 02:17 PM. Reason: curse words

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. We are very sorry to hear that you and your mother were in an abusive situation. Abuse is never okay. We are not legal experts but from what we know, your mother has the right to file a runaway report on you until you turn 18 unless you go through the emancipation process. You mentioned that you have a family that is willing to take you in, you could ask them if they would assist you in transportation there. You could try talking to your mother and asking her if she would allow you to stay with them or another family member. The family could get charged with harboring a runaway if you decide to stay with them without your mom’s permission. Since you are a minor, you may not have to apply for residency in another state. People typically just move to another state and get a state ID, job, and pay their taxes. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), or email.

Guest replied
    Hey,
    I am NOT fifteen although it is right around the corner. I recently ran away from home with my mother because we were in an abusive situation. Things have been very difficult for us since,and I am beginning to realize that she is no better a parent than my father.
    I have a family that is willing to take me in.
    I want to wait until I am sixteen as I have done research and I can legally leave and she cannot send a form to the police saying I am a runaway.
    My only concern is how I get to the destination that I am wanting to live at and what I need to make myself a resident of the area.
    In no way do I want the family to adopt me as the court would then get involved, however I do want to become a resident of the state that I would be moving to.
    I have a year and five months to build a strong fool-proof plan and would like as much guidance and advice as possible.
    Thank you for taking the time to read my comment.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hey,
    Thanks for writing in. It sounds like you’re in a very frustrating and stifling situation. It isn’t okay that your mom takes her anger out on you, nor is it okay that your dad has been emotionally abusive towards you. You absolutely deserve to feel safe, loved, and supported by your parents.
    We’re not legal experts, and it seems like police responses are different from state to state and even county to county. It might be helpful if you call your local non-emergency line and ask how they would handle the situation of a 16-year-old leaving with one of their parents’ consent. Generally speaking, if your mother has custody of you, she would still be entitled to file a runaway report and the police may still bring you home if they’re able to locate you.
    If you want to talk about the situation more specifically, please feel free to reach out to us any time at 1-800-786-2929. Best of luck to you and stay strong!

Guest replied
    Hey... i am a 15 year old girl and i live in colorado. my parents are divorced... my mother struggles from extreme anger issues, as well as depression in the past. she takes her anger out on me like a punching bag all the time, constantly insulting me and telling me that i'm rebellious, "controlling", and "manipulative". my father is emotionally abusive, as well as my step mother. they both treat me differently than my 3 siblings; they are passive-aggressive towards me and they are constantly using the words, "i love you" to get what they want. i've been planning to run away for years, as my parents make me feel worthless and trapped. they would never let me get emancipated, so that's out of the picture. i currently have a boyfriend, who is 16. i've been looking into staying with him (temporarily most likely), since his parents are very empathetic and they have helped people in the past. my mother would never be okay with that, but my dad might. would that be legal? do you have any advice..? i need to get out, and i have a selection of friends to stay with, as well as my boyfriend. if my mother is not okay with it, and my father is, is that technically legal? i feel so stuck.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X