X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just want to move out to preserve my relationship with my dad

Hello,
    I am 16 soon to turn 17 i want to know if in ohio can I legally move out with out emancipation you see before I sound like a brat i love my family but were all assholes and me and my dad are so alike we fight more than we get along i have a friend who said he can be my roommate an possible apartment rent would be (my half) 125 a job i want to move out for the following reasons
    My dads constant fighting, to preserve what little relationship we have left, to not be so restricded(he thinks ill screw up like he did), and during one of our screaming matches his wife threatened to leave him, he forces me to doctors that make me feel like complete ******** for my past rather that help(i was having an axiety attack one night went in asked how can i stop this next time it happens they told me to tell them what really caused it)
    , and him trying to force me to be like he was in highschool(the very reason he restricts me)

I've asked him this before he said no way in hell your leaving till 19 can I leave without emancipation

re: I just want to move out to preserve my relationship with my dad

Hi there,

Thank you so much for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry that you’re dealing with so much at home and we hope that we can help you in the best way we can. We can’t even imagine how hard it must be to work against so much at home with your dad and it probably doesn’t help that the other mental health professionals aren’t able to understand what you need either.

We understand that you’d like to move out to receive some healthy distance and space from your father. The only way you can move out legally at the age of minority (under the age of 1 is with parental or guardian consent or by becoming emancipated. We can imagine that must be incredibly frustrating to hear, and we want you to know that you don’t have to keep feeling the way you’re feeling. If you cannot move out at this age, remember that you’re incredibly close and that you’re so incredibly tough and resilient for making it through this far.
    If you feel as if things at home with your dad are too much for you, you could explore other options. Are there people in your family or close to your family that your dad would consent to you living to for a period of time (distant relatives, grandparents, etc.)? Would your dad be responsive to other methods of communication that explain your reasoning for wanting space

It also sounds like a lot of the issues with your dad are stemming from lack of trust and inability to be granted the freedom to do as you please with your dad’s permission and understanding. Are these things that can be mediated? Some ways of navigating around this are considered his personality, things he reacts or responds to, things he does not take well, etc. Understanding these factors could benefit you in constructing a conversation with your dad to allow your needs to be heard in a productive way. It could also be helpful to think of ways you can get your space without too much of a conflict from his end (hanging out afterschool/in afterschool-related activities, getting a job, etc.)
    If you do decide to leave regardless, we can always be available to help you navigate through the process. Our hotline can provide you with resources for shelters, transitional living programs, basic needs, etc.

We’re sorry that things are so suffocating for you. We still can’t imagine your situation and hope that some of our suggestions were useful to you. If you’d like to talk more or explore resources please don’t hesitate to call out hotline at 1(800) RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our lines are open 24/7.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X