Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Think my Mom is Bipolar

Today, my mum wanted to flat-iron my hair. However, I wanted to leave my hair alone, and declined politely. But then, she kept on insisting, and I would say "No, thank you, Mum."
    Then, I heard her say "Wash your hair so I can do your hair." I went to the bathroom and washed my hair. When I came back, she was very mad and screamed "Are you stupid? I sent you to wash your face and to brush your teeth, not to wash your hair!" I got very scared.
    After that, she calmed down momentarily and told me to sit down so she could dry my hair.
    Soon, she got really mad again and started brushing my hair and pulling it, which hurt more than I thought it would. Then she started hitting me in the head with the brush and started yelling "Do you think I'm a stupid b***h? I know you did this on purpose!" However, I said "Mum, I promise I didn't." She started yelling profanities and hitting me in the head with the brush again. I started crying and tried to stop, but I couldn't.
    For the rest of the day, she seemed happy and carefree, and even apologized at one point.
    I'm sorry if this seems unimportant, because I know that others go through things that are so much worse than this. But I am really worried, because my mum has had many other episodes like this.
    Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

re: I Think my Mon is Bipolar

Hey there,

Thank you for contacting us here at NRS. It sounds like you are going through a scary time with your mom. That sounds like you feel worried about how she will be feeling day to day. It can be really difficult to be in a household where you feel unsafe. It’s great that you are reaching out for help.

It’s great that you’re doing your research on this. For some advice on what to do in the meantime, as far as you are thinking your mom has bipolar disorder, you can contact the SAMHSA hotline which stands for Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration. Their number is 1-877-726-4727. They may be able to clarify what being bipolar means and how you could can stay safe in those situations.

For further support, we strongly encourage you to contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and look forward to your call. Lastly, please note that we offer a live chat via our website at www.1800runaway.org every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X