No announcement yet.

I need Help .

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need Help .

    I'm 15 years old. My father threatens me on a daily basis and has lately been threatening to kill me. I'm scared. Since I was 12 he'd yell mean things and tell me to kill myself and do the world to do the world a favor. I'm getting more and more tired of this as the days progress and I'm so miserable. Is there a legal way I can get out of this house? My mother loves him and won't leave him, Even though she's seen him hit me. I'm ready to run away. But I love learning and that'd mean discontinuing my education and I never wanna do that.. So I'm here asking for legal ways of leaving.

  • #2
    RE: I need Help .

    Hi there,

    Thank you so much for reaching out to us. It sounds like things at home are really tough with the way that your dad treats you, you don’t deserve this at all. No one deserves to be abused in any way. You do have a right to make a report with Child Protective Services if that is something you want to do. One way to do this is to either call us here at 1800runaway, and we could help you make that report or make it on your behalf. Another option you have is to call Child Help USA at (800) 422 4453.

    It sounds like you really just want to get out of your house and it’s understandable why you would be feeling this way. We’re not legal experts here, so we really cannot say for sure what would or would not happen if you left without consent, but generally if you leave without consent from legal guardians, they would have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made, and the police find you, they would just bring you back home. However, anyone that you stay with could potentially be charged for harboring.

    As far as legal ways to leave, emancipation could potentially be an option. Again we’re not experts, but the little information we do know is that it can be an expensive process due to having to meet and speak with a lawyer, as well as time consuming because of court dates and the process. If you would like to try to explore this process further, you can call us and we can try to find a legal resource in your area that would be of more assistance to you.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp