No announcement yet.

I’m 18 and want to move in with my boyfriend

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I’m 18 and want to move in with my boyfriend

    Hi, I’m 18 years old and have been having issues at home with my parents who are control freaks. My boyfriend and I have been talking about moving in together and spending as much time with each other before I leave to basic training for the Air Force. The problem is how to tell my parents. My parents are the most over dramatic people and will make a scene if I tell them I want to live with my boyfriend before I ship off. In the sense my parents get too upset, can I just pack my stuff and leave? If they call the police can they do anything? Will I or my boyfriend get in trouble?

  • #2
    Hi there,
    We are glad you are reaching out to us in your time of need because we are here to help. Sometimes speaking to parents can be a difficult situation, but reaching out is a good first step in figuring out your options.

    In your post you shared that you are 18. While we are not legal experts, we can let you know that in most states (all 50 besides Alabama, Nebraska, and Mississippi) you are considered a legal adult. That means that you may be able to leave home without legal consequences. Sometimes parents call the police and claim that their child took something that does not belong to them. In these cases the police may charge you with robbery if they deem the situation serious. Something else that may happen is that your parents may report you as a missing persons or claim that you were kidnapped. If this is the case, you have the option to call the police on their non-emergency number to let them know that you are not missing or kidnapped.

    The actions we mentioned above may be avoided if you can describe the situation to your parents in a way that would not prompt them to involve the police. Have you thought about how you would approach the conversation? If not, we do have a conference call service here at the National Runaway Safeline (1-800-RUNAWAY). Basically we would talk to you about your situation/feelings and then we would call and talk to your parents. We would then connect the calls and someone would remain on the line to help keep conversation positive and constructive while both sides share their thoughts. If you didn’t want to use the conference call service, the same method may apply to a family member or family friend. Sometimes having someone in the room who can objectively support both sides can help minimize either party getting upset.

    As we said, we are here to help but we are also here to listen. If you wanted to discuss the options we mentioned above or want help brainstorming other ideas please feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are confidential and available 24/7.

    Best of Luck
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp