No announcement yet.

What happens if you run away from home at 14 due to mental abuse from a parent ?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What happens if you run away from home at 14 due to mental abuse from a parent ?

    I really dont feel safe at home anymore, she's mentally abusive. My mother so to say as she's my only parent in the home, she seems to make me be the bad guy as some things she says is true but in private she screams yells and calls me names and threatens to 'Sell me' I have a few online friends as witnesses on when we did calls. She always accused me of things and calls me names for things I do in the past, she iver exaggerates on what I do and tells her ex Aka my old father figure everything bad about me. I don't feel safe and I don't want to stay here anymore and I don't have family near or that i trust. I know few people that I can trust so much but they are so far away and I dont have others I can trust. She causes constant stress for me and I even self harmed in the past, she isn't helpful for my mental health. I don't know what to do at all anymore.

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to NRS! It takes a strong person to ask for help. You deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, and abuse is never okay.
    You mentioned that your mom is mentally abusive. You do not deserve to be treated like that. If you are interested in filing an abuse report with Child Protective Services, they would start an investigation into your mom. If they find evidence of abuse or neglect, they will take you out of the house. CPS does their best to listen to you and try to place you with family members or someone else you know before resorting to foster care. We aren’t experts, so we cannot guarantee what they would do. But, if you have questions about the abuse reporting process, calling Child Help (1-800-422-4453; can be helpful. Having evidence from other people can be helpful in this process.
    You also mentioned that you do not feel safe in your house. Your safety is the most important. If you do not feel safe, calling 911 is always an option.
    Your original question asked about running away from your home. If you were to run away, your mom could file a runaway report with the police. This means that if they were to find you, they would have to return you to your mom. However, they would likely not return you to your mom if there was an abuse report on file. We aren’t legal experts, so we don’t know what would happen exactly. But, calling your non-emergency number at your local police station and asking what would happen if you ran away with an abuse report on file could be helpful.
    It sounds like you’re struggling with self-harm and your mental health. You are not alone. If you need to talk to someone, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-825) can help with any mental health concerns. Additionally, there is NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, which can be reached at 1-800-950-6264 or by texting NAMI to 741741.
    Thank you again for reaching out to us! It is important that you feel safe and cared for where you live. If you need any other resources or support, feel free to call us anytime at 1-800-786-2929. We are 24/7 and confidential.
    Best of luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp